Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Will small bucks mate when larger bucks are around? >

Will small bucks mate when larger bucks are around?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will small bucks mate when larger bucks are around?

Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those first three are definitely big. But my guess is they are the exception, not the rule. I'm sure your deer are probably bigger than ours, but on avg... probably not that much bigger.

RR, you and I hunt the same deer...I hunt hampshire and frederick. Mountain deer. If you go a couple counties over from me (east) they gain about 20-40lbs on avg over what we get. Biggest we ever got was 145 totally field dressed.

The scale will make even the best weight guessers feel stupid. Almost everyone way overestimates.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Three more exceptions to the rule. The reason they are the exception is because mature bucks are the exception. We see many more 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks and a few 3.5 year old bucks. 4.5 year olds and older are not see with much frequency.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yesir, those are some big body deer. I'd love to get one like that someday. Even our mature bucks just aren't big body. My dad killed a 5.5yr old 2yrs ago that weighed 119 dressed on the DNR scale.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes. I have shot them right off the doe.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

you will find in most cases smaller ie younger bucks do most of the breeding, It does not matter the age of the buck breeding as long as they have good genetics.. Several studies in recent years have shown that many larger buck don't participate in the rut at all...
Old 11-21-2014, 05:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by WV Hunter

At the rate I've seen mature does without fawns this year, it appears that even with all the small bucks breeding they couldn't get to em all.
I am the exact opposite. Literally every single doe I have seen this year had fawns. Im not exaggerating at all. Had a doe come out Wednesday afternoon that still had twins in tow.

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
125lbs is certainly only a yearling and probably born late as a fawn. He will improve next year. Unless you live in The Keys and he's a Keys deer.
150 is the average mature buck in SC it seems. I have killed 3 bucks this year, which is a lot for me since I usually only kill 1 or 2 a year. Shot a 8, 9, and a 10 and their weights in order were 160, 152, and 149. Those weights are NOT dressed. I dont process my own deer so I just get the weight when I drop them off with guts intact. Also my average for Does seems to be ~90.

Last edited by X_Rayted35; 11-21-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ah, you're in SC. The deer are a little smaller in the south than the north. We are in northern PA. On top of a mountain. Our winters are brutal and the deer seem to be big-bodied. Last winter, we hit -26.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by X_Rayted35

150 is the average mature buck in SC it seems. I have killed 3 bucks this year, which is a lot for me since I usually only kill 1 or 2 a year. Shot a 8, 9, and a 10 and their weights in order were 160, 152, and 149. Those weights are NOT dressed. I dont process my own deer so I just get the weight when I drop them off with guts intact. Also my average for Does seems to be ~90.
So your mature bucks are about like ours where I'm at in VA/WV. All ours are weighed field dressed.

Cool you are seeing lots of fawns, our fawn crop is down it seems, at least on my land it is.