Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Will small bucks mate when larger bucks are around? >

Will small bucks mate when larger bucks are around?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will small bucks mate when larger bucks are around?

Old 11-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Spike

Default Will small bucks mate when larger bucks are around?

I saw some really nice mature deer when i set up my camera on a piece of property we just bought. When I was fixing to take my camera back home I saw a pretty big scrape with a broke off licking branch on the main trail heading out of the swamp. I decided to set up the camera facing it because I could tell the area was being worn out. The deer I saw come back and chew on the branch and start hoofing at the dirt was just pathetic. He couldnt have been a yearling because he had a decent sized body (~125lbs). I think he looked to be at least 2.5 but you couldnt tell that from his horns. He had the smallest 4pt rack I have ever seen. They went straight up and were not even above his ears and the fork was hardly noticeable.

Please tell me that with some big 8 pointers in the area that they will breed all of the does?

Last edited by X_Rayted35; 11-15-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

well those big ole 8 points are probably his daddy, give him a couple years, but yes young bucks breed when they can, doesn't happen often, mature bucks seek the does out when they approach estrus (s) the younger bucks just chase everything.
RR
Old 11-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol I guess I took the thread title totally wrong.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
Same here. Its a lifestyle choice (not that theres anything wrong with that)
Old 11-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
If you read the title and then look at his screen name, it's easy to think what we thought.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I'm glad its not just me.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the same thought when i saw the title...

I read an article once that tracked this very thing in a scientific study. They were saying that most mating actually is by the less dominant bucks.

It was mainly a matter of numbers. The big bucks simply weren't numerous enough to mate with all of the does, and that gave the smaller bucks plenty of opportunity.

It did vary though. Opportunities for the lesser bucks came in the peak of fertility.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 2eagles
If you read the title and then look at his screen name, it's easy to think what we thought.
working in radiology does allow for some good puns.

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
I had the same thought when i saw the title...

I read an article once that tracked this very thing in a scientific study. They were saying that most mating actually is by the less dominant bucks.

It was mainly a matter of numbers. The big bucks simply weren't numerous enough to mate with all of the does, and that gave the smaller bucks plenty of opportunity.

It did vary though. Opportunities for the lesser bucks came in the peak of fertility.
i remember hearing similar things. Someone with a lot of big deer on his property did a study. He said all the big bucks did was fight each other and the little ones snuck around and mated with all the does.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think males of any species, without regard to size, will breed any female that can get to. Bigger bucks may try to prevent it but there are too many females to prevent smaller bucks from mounting a good number of them.

I have done a lot of elk hunting and when it comes to elk there are herd bulls that try to contain all the cows. Problem is as soon as another bull comes along and challenges the herd bull it distracts him and a younger bull nearly always uses that chance to breed one or two cows. Seems logical to assume the same thing would happen with deer.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Originally Posted by flags
I think males of any species, without regard to size, will breed any female that can get to. Bigger bucks may try to prevent it but there are too many females to prevent smaller bucks from mounting a good number of them.

I have done a lot of elk hunting and when it comes to elk there are herd bulls that try to contain all the cows. Problem is as soon as another bull comes along and challenges the herd bull it distracts him and a younger bull nearly always uses that chance to breed one or two cows. Seems logical to assume the same thing would happen with deer.
I was going to post the same thought (in bold) but flags beat me to it.

I don't have nearly the experience hunting that he has, but the rest of what he says makes a lot of sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.