HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Need a little help! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/395602-need-little-help.html)

Marine0311 11-13-2014 04:45 PM

Need a little help!
 
Well, I had an unfortunate situation this evening. Have noticed a lot of deer moving to one point of the woods. I have seen them just about every evening and coming from there in the morning. I decided to move down to the area, due to the stand being further away and having issues with bushes and trees. To give you intel on the area. We have a 400 acre farm on this side of the road and 500 acres on the other side. The area I am hunting we have planted corn this year. Backing up to the corn is woods. about 80 yards in the woods from the corn, is a couple of houses we rent out. I was sitting where the deer had been seen coming in and out of the corn field. It was getting pretty dark. I watched a doe about 25 feet infront of me smell and resaturate her scrape, which as multiple scrapes around it. She walked past me and entered the corn field. She did not even know I was there. Immediately after her entering the corn field, I heard some foot steps enter the woods. About 20 feet from me, was by far the biggest buck I have ever seen on my property. He continued to head towards me slightly turning and going up towards the house up on the hill. He stopped checking the big doe scrape and then looked up. I was still never moved and was covered in my camo and had a black ski mask on over my face. The buck never snorted, never flagged, or anything, and after looking my way for a minute or two, he took off back in to the corn field. What should I do next? Should I place a stand in a near by tree? Should I not worry about it and move on. As I was leaving I did notice more deer coming down the hill in to the same spot I was sitting so my scent couldn't be too bad there. Advice please?????

Sheridan 11-13-2014 04:51 PM

It's amazing that you see the most game standing on someone's back porch (who doesn't hunt) with a cocktail in your hand.


I'd set up somewhere near those buildings closes to the woods and hope they come out early !

Mastevt 11-13-2014 05:22 PM

You got nothing to loose! Put a stand up within your comfortable range and hunt it! If you don't, you have already lost the chance at him!

Marine0311 11-13-2014 06:06 PM


Originally Posted by Mastevt (Post 4169529)
You got nothing to loose! Put a stand up within your comfortable range and hunt it! If you don't, you have already lost the chance at him!

I believe you are correct. By the way to your comment earlier, You are very welcome Sir. It was an honor.

Marine0311 11-13-2014 06:09 PM

I am shocked the fact that he spooked because of me, but walks 10 feet from that persons house every day and night, and is not bothered. I think I will put a stand up near the last place we met, and if he comes through again, he will then be reporting to graves registration. lol

Mastevt 11-14-2014 09:34 AM

Good luck! Get yourself some doe in estris and run a drag line to 25 yards upwind of your stand when you hunt him. Leave the scent rag on the ground in your shooting lane. Others like to hang them, but I prefer to leave them on the ground, so his head is down when I shoot. Reducing the chance of him spotting me.

Marine0311 11-16-2014 06:22 PM


Originally Posted by Mastevt (Post 4169672)
Good luck! Get yourself some doe in estris and run a drag line to 25 yards upwind of your stand when you hunt him. Leave the scent rag on the ground in your shooting lane. Others like to hang them, but I prefer to leave them on the ground, so his head is down when I shoot. Reducing the chance of him spotting me.

Sounds good! Started raining here today right before prime time this evening. Didnt see any bucks, but did see two doe come out and run back in. Then ran a circle around the woods, ran back in, came out and then ran right back in.

uncle matt 11-16-2014 08:00 PM

Stay put. You already moved your set up once and you don't want to change things up too much. I think that buck saw you alright and even if you didn't move I think he saw your shape. Are you washing your clothes in detergent without UV brighteners? If you aren't regardless of camp, orange, pink or purple the deer see your full shape and they know that human shape ain't welcome in their woods.

Marine0311 11-16-2014 11:08 PM


Originally Posted by uncle matt (Post 4170096)
Stay put. You already moved your set up once and you don't want to change things up too much. I think that buck saw you alright and even if you didn't move I think he saw your shape. Are you washing your clothes in detergent without UV brighteners? If you aren't regardless of camp, orange, pink or purple the deer see your full shape and they know that human shape ain't welcome in their woods.

Hey UncleMatt!!! Matt is my brothers name! I don't wash them often. I have a plastic tub that is sealed with a lid. All of my hunting clothes go in it and I keep it loaded with fresh Pine needles and pine limbs. I change the pine mixture every two to three days. Man I smell like a pine tree. I sit in pine trees so it works out great. I plan to put up a ladder stand close to all the action, but not too close.

ManofTheFall 11-17-2014 03:44 AM

By the way, those aren't doe scrapes. They are buck scrapes.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.