Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need a little help!

Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you bow hunting, gun hunting? Is the corn still standing or cut?

If you are set up 20' from the scrapes, you are probably a tad close. I'd hunt it again ... then maybe find a downwind spot to move your setup. Position yourself so you catch them coming to that spot, rather than being right on top of em when they get there. Especially if the corn is still standing.

If you are gun hunting, obviously you can afford a little more distance than bow.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Are you bow hunting, gun hunting? Is the corn still standing or cut?

If you are set up 20' from the scrapes, you are probably a tad close. I'd hunt it again ... then maybe find a downwind spot to move your setup. Position yourself so you catch them coming to that spot, rather than being right on top of em when they get there. Especially if the corn is still standing.

If you are gun hunting, obviously you can afford a little more distance than bow.
I am using a blackpowder rifle.The corn on our farm is still standing. We have a mixture this year of sweet corn and field corn. There was a deer I watched the other day. I sat in the same spot and about 10 to 15 feet behind me in the corn was a deer rubbing and shakin the stalks like crazy. Never seen a buck make a corn stalk rub. He stepped out but never raised his head so I didnt pull on him.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you made eye contact, the deer knew it, don't know how but you can be totaly unseen, lock eyes with a deer and he gets skittish, I would back off downwind and hang the stand 50 yards from where the deer are entering the corn. may take a couple days but stay on him and you'll get him.
RR