Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why bolt action ?

Old 11-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Why bolt action ?

Why are bolts so popular for hunting ? I would think semi auto's and lever's are faster cycling, and more fun to use in general.

Even the Remington pump is fun to use. I can't explain why, but using a bolt is just boring.

Why do you hunt with a bolt action ?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Spike

Semi automatics are illegal to hunt with in some states. I personally like bolt action.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by the blur
Why are bolts so popular for hunting ? I would think semi auto's and lever's are faster cycling, and more fun to use in general.

Even the Remington pump is fun to use. I can't explain why, but using a bolt is just boring.

So they're boring?

...that's OK. I don't need any excitement from my rifle while I'm hunting. I only need excitement from from a dead deer.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by the blur
Why are bolts so popular for hunting ?

Accuracy, simplicity,reliability,strength of the action.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

A-c-c-u-r-a-c-y!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
Plus only needing one shot to get the job done over the last 36 yrs.
Needed 2 when I was 14 once.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

First the action and barrel is fitted in a one piece stock, this means you can free float it or put pressure on the barrel to make it shoot better...

Next, the trigger is fully adjustable, because of the design of a semi, this isn't possible...

Because of the above, bolt actions are usually more accurate than semis...This is why those that shoot long range targets and snipers use bolt actions...

Reliability, a bolt action won't jam like a semi can...

Mounting a scope is more solid and it will be more reliable because of the action of a bolt action...Most bolt actions are more balanced and lighter than a semi...Lever actions are cute but for some of us they are simply too short and don't fit us well...
Old 11-11-2014, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting does not require a lot of firepower. Semi's may be more fun to shoot a lot, but it's the first shot that counts in hunting and the bolt guns will deliver that first shot very accurately and reliably. During gun season: one shot, dead deer; two shots, probably a dead deer; 3 or more shots, deer is still running.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Because I reload and with the flick of the bolt the brass is in my hand then my pocket. Once there I can then go field dress my deer and not have to crawl around and look for the brass in the grass and snow.

My brother has a pump action Remington 760 and he catches the brass from it also.

Semis are a military weapon because the object really is to maim which ties up more people to care for them so less persons to fight.

Al
Old 11-11-2014, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Bolt accuracy

Originally Posted by jerry d
X2, I like lever actions for hunting thick woods while still hunting or tracking. Bolts for stand hunting in more open woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.