Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many stands?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
Depends where I am hunting. Always have one set-up sometimes two. One woods I hunt some years I like having two so I have choice and am able to hunt the wind easier. Also have a small pop-up blind I can move around when & if I need to.
Does it not get old hunting the same stand over and over?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:38 AM
Typical Buck

Rockport,
I just built this one this past summer. Have under a 100 in it. It is all screwed together except for the 2x6s on the bottom and I and move it by myself and put it together by myself.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:11 AM
Spike

1 climber....that's all I need.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mj1967
1 climber....that's all I need.
I do really enjoy sitting in my climber however as I get older its not nearly as much fun to lug in and out. Also several spots that I hunt there are no trees suitable to climb how ever there are crooked or small trees that work great with the Millenium set up. Sure is nice to just go in and climb up the ladder of a ladder stand and sit down.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

I've got 1 spot I hunt in. I dont use a stand, I only hunt from the ground. I feel like I'm more in control when I'm sittin on the ground. Also, I dont want to fall out of a tree...
Old 11-13-2014, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

I have several loc on tree stand I use with bad trees I use TV antenaes as my ladders.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by browtine7
Does it not get old hunting the same stand over and over?
Not really... where I am set up now is a deer superhighway. They have a bare path wore down from their bedding area to the creek they water at. Also massive scrapes and rubs in the immediate area. I rotate around a few properties year by year because I have to share the land with other hunters. This year I am limited to the stand by that creek. BUT, I have to share, another guy gets it for the 2 week gun season this year. But I have it from Oct. 1st until Jan 3rd minus the 2 weeks. He said he will only take a 12 or bigger so I'm not too worried as I am primarily a meat hunter. Have taken one large doe so far and seen several deer every time out. With a few in the 8pt-10pt range and some small bucks I will let walk. I'd be happy just getting another nice doe or two.

If I had unlimited choices, sure, I'd have stands up all over the place.

But I will take what is available, gratefully....

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 11-13-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

I have 18 stand and 1 box blind on 134 acres
Old 11-13-2014, 03:50 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by buckman11
I've got 1 spot I hunt in. I dont use a stand, I only hunt from the ground. I feel like I'm more in control when I'm sittin on the ground. Also, I dont want to fall out of a tree...
Ground hunting has its benefits - setup is quiet and not so physical. And when a deer comes in, you really have to watch your step - they are at your level and will see if you blink. So it is quite a thrill. On the minus side, you need to prepare some sort of shooting lane in advance, so each location needs some prep, but you can do much of this well in advance. I have used full enclosure blinds of various types, but my preference is some camo burlap fastened to tree branches around me.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
Not really... where I am set up now is a deer superhighway. They have a bare path wore down from their bedding area to the creek they water at. Also massive scrapes and rubs in the immediate area. I rotate around a few properties year by year because I have to share the land with other hunters. This year I am limited to the stand by that creek. BUT, I have to share, another guy gets it for the 2 week gun season this year. But I have it from Oct. 1st until Jan 3rd minus the 2 weeks. He said he will only take a 12 or bigger so I'm not too worried as I am primarily a meat hunter. Have taken one large doe so far and seen several deer every time out. With a few in the 8pt-10pt range and some small bucks I will let walk. I'd be happy just getting another nice doe or two.

If I had unlimited choices, sure, I'd have stands up all over the place.

But I will take what is available, gratefully....

I do agree with the fact that I would be grateful for what I had also. Good luck to you the rest of the season!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.