Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Treestand stolen mid season?

Old 11-12-2014, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thieves have been stealing treestands

once they discovered that some stands are left in the woods 24/7 and aren't used 24/7 by the hunter.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cammogunner
sorry to here about that it is a shame i have thought about keeping people out of my deerstand so i come up with a nasty little deal i call..the butt scewer i took a board and screwed 20-30 screws into in and the i place it on my homemade deer stand and when they go to grab/sit on the seat they get there hand/butt stabed with a few deck screws it sounds crazy but it should work.
Hehehe! Sounds like a good idea to me!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Spike

I've found a ladder stand on my property that wasnt supposed to be there. Left a nice letter on the tree and yanked it down with my four wheeler. Left the newly modified stand in place. Came back a week later. The stand was gone. No problems since. But I have put locks on everything.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had my climber stolen over night on my own property before. Hunted till dark, then came back next afternoon for an evening hunt and alas, nada!!!!! I have since taken to that when I hunt private property, I put up ladder stands and anchor them to the tree with2- 6" lag bolts with a 6" long, 1/8th" thick strap to the tree just behind the seat. I also use bolts with acorn nuts instead of the spring clips on the ladder itself and make sure the legs are down into the dirt so they cant pick the ladder up as easy.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Spike

We had that problem around here for a while. It is crazy because we hunt daily on our land, and work daily on our land. Over 500 head of cattle we milk. The guy doing it we finally caught. Our stands here are the Skyscraper tree stands, total of about 25 foot in the air to shooting rail. We unscrewed the platform on a few. I guess when he went up to get the strap off the one and stepped on the platform, ooops! We found him banged up the next morning by the stand.
We have not had any more trouble since that incident. I guess word got around...
Old 11-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah it's gonna happen, it's too bad and it sucks and all that. This site has the posts every year. No offense to anyone, it isn't that I don't care bc I do. What I would like to read though is about some POC getting caught and whooped real good.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Spike

I pull cameras out before modern gun and muzzle loader. I never leave anything out through those periods. Just way too many people out roaming around to risk it.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Yeah it's gonna happen, it's too bad and it sucks and all that. This site has the posts every year. No offense to anyone, it isn't that I don't care bc I do. What I would like to read though is about some POC getting caught and whooped real good.
I posted this before but will cause your request. My "Baby" brother,6'-8", 285#, was hunting near Shawnee Forest about 4 yrs ago. Hunted the morning, was WAY BACK off the road, well over a mile for walking. Was stalking back after lunch at the truck. Came across a guy and his young teenage son walking out, packing a climber.
My brother asked how they had done as he noticed the tape on the stand. The guy said they went in on another road and got turned around and was finding their way out. My brother pointed the way out as he asked about the stand on the fathers back. The father said that it was his and they were leaving. My brother noticed the kid backing away and to the side at this getting nervous
My brother told the guy that he was positive that the stand was his and he could prove it. His initials and last 4 of his SS were on it. The old man began to raise the barrel of his weapon as he began to get agitated about the situation. My brother told him to put the weapon down or there will be some VERY bad outcomings of this and for his son to witness. The old man complied and lowered his weapon as my brother told him to clear the weapon as well. He did. He then told him to take the climber off and go on about his way and if he wanted proof the stand was his he told him were the initials were to look at as he took it off. The old man at this time told my brother that he "Found" it laying on the ground and thought someone dropped it and would not find it back!!!! My brother told him he left the stand on the tree and he knew it. The kid was about to pizzz his pants about now. He told the kid to clear his weapon just in case as well. The old man made a comment that if my brother didn't have his gun he would show him what he was made of. My brother just looked at him and laughed. He told him that coming from a true thief and infront of his kid to boot really shows who is truly made of what and that he was sorry for his kid to grow up with such a POS for a father example. He collected his stand and made them leave as he watched. Then went the wide around to his truck as he called the CPO's. They found them later but to no avail, they denied all and nothing could/was done. My brother has never gone back to that area again. Packs stand in and out all the time now.

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-07-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Spike

Well I went in today to find another stand gone walked around the property and found orange markers followed them right to my stolen stands both stands hung 15 ft apart still on the property.... I don't really understand it but there are more markers.. More stolen stands?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default stolen stands

Originally Posted by joker80p
i haven't had much time to hunt but have been out maybe once a week. I have 3 stands at one spot, today i go out one stand is gone. I've had stands there for 3 years had trail cams out never locked anything up i've never even seen anyone back where i go. Today out of no where it's gone a buddy stand with the swing down shooting rail just disappeared
fish hooks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.