Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Colorado Whitetail Tips

Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Colorado Whitetail Tips

I picked up an either sex Colorado whitetail license for the end of November / first week of December and was hoping that someone could PM me public land spots they know in these areas where we would find whitetail. I would also appreciate any whitetail tips you could offer as this is my first hunt for whitetail. I will have my daughter with me and would like to bag something while she's with me! I don't mind paying a small trespass fee for the opportunity to share this experience with my daughter. The license is valid for all the game units listed below. I would appreciate any help I can get! Thanks in advance!

License valid in the following GMU's :48, 49, 56, 57, 58, 59, 69, 84, 85, 86, 140, 481, 511, 561, 581, 591, 691, 851.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wish I could help you but I don't think I know any land owners in those units. If you were in 102, 101, 105 I could help you.

You may want to consider contacting the DOW and seeing if they have a list of landowners that allow trespass fee hunting in those units. I know the DOW office in Brush used to keep such a list.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Hey, thanks for the advice on contacting DOW. I think I'll do that. It turns out that license may be valid in GMU 105. I'd appreciate any help with 105 that you could provide. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to see whitetails in 105 about 10 miles north of Limon. Lots of wheat fields in that area and the whitetails used to hang around the edges in the tall weeds. Most of the Limon farmers were happy to give permission to hunt. If I wanted to hunt around Limon I'd get ahold of the farmer's CO-OP there and see if they know any farmers having problems with deer in the crops.

One thing they have now that they didn't have back then was the State Trust Lands. Check to see if there are any of those around Limon. They have a brochure that shows every State trust Land in the state by county at the DOW offices. I actually have one of those brochures but it is in CO and right now I am in AL.

Last edited by flags; 11-05-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have one of those tags too. I had lined up some private property by the Arkansas River that I knew had a couple on whitetails hanging around. A week ago the land owner told me he leased the land, and I couldn't hunt it. It was in unit 57.

It's going to be difficult to find a whitetail now among all the mule deer. I'll be shocked if I find one.

Good luck with your hunt. We're going to need it.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the information Flags! I really appreciate it! Good luck to you as well Muley Hunter!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Banned

I picked one up as well and will be hunting 511. Seen a couple decent ones while chasing elk in that unit during archery this year.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

If all else fails I guess I'll drive around and knock on a few doors? I'm looking forward to the challenge that this is shaping out to be.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:32 PM
Spike

I have a deer tag in 105 at the end of the month. Looks like you could give me some pointers with some land to Hunt out there...

Originally Posted by flags
Wish I could help you but I don't think I know any land owners in those units. If you were in 102, 101, 105 I could help you.

You may want to consider contacting the DOW and seeing if they have a list of landowners that allow trespass fee hunting in those units. I know the DOW office in Brush used to keep such a list.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by .308
I have a deer tag in 105 at the end of the month. Looks like you could give me some pointers with some land to Hunt out there...
See my above from a couple years ago. I have nothing new to add to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.