Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 11-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
Do not Smoke in Your Hunting Clothes....if You Smoke in Your Vehicle then put on Your Hunting Clothes and get in Your truck a Your contaminating them that way also.
If you smoke(and I do) you smell like smoke period. You could hunt naked and it wouldn't fix it.

You always smell like a human anyway. You have to hunt the wind.

None of this explains going 5 years without seeing 1 deer though.

Something has to be VERY wrong to go 5 years where deer live without seeing one at all.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
If you smoke(and I do) you smell like smoke period. You could hunt naked and it wouldn't fix it.

You always smell like a human anyway. You have to hunt the wind.

None of this explains going 5 years without seeing 1 deer though.

Something has to be VERY wrong to go 5 years where deer live without seeing one at all.
dunno what it is but I agree...
Old 11-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Spike

I agree with Flyinlowe something fishy here. even a novice who will make all kinds of mistakes will eventually run into a deer or at least see one. you say for 5 yrs. you have seen only 1 deer on your 40 acres but have pics. on trail cams. scrapes near your stands and never see a deer while in your stands not possible if you are putting the time in you say you are. one thing I did notice you said one stand is 10ft. and one is 17ft. not very high for deer hunting pressured deer. also you don't show pic's of your stands is there any thing behind you to cover your figure or did you trim every thing and stick out like a sore thumb. even if you smelled like you just came back from a work out you would maybe spook a deer but sooner or later see one. I would try another area even a public place where hunters see deer because it sounds like where you are there can't be any deer to see.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
Do not Smoke in Your Hunting Clothes....if You Smoke in Your Vehicle then put on Your Hunting Clothes and get in Your truck a Your contaminating them that way also.
A friend of mine has killed multiple deer, including bucks, while smoking a cigarette in the stand. The wind just has to be in your favor to see activity. Hunt the wind!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't mean to Dis all the Smokers......but I know a Guy that smokes all the time and Deer Hunts that has "No" decent size Bucks mounted on His wall, guess He doesn't hunt the wind well?
Old 11-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

More often I find myself having to put my smoke down to shoot both deer and coyotes.

It's all about the wind.............................

I'd tell your buddy to stop fidgeting and keep his eyes open - LOL!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guess I'm trying to say the more things You do to give Yourself away to the Deer the harder it is to Kill a nice Deer,be it a wise old Buck or a cautious Mature Doe!

Time will tell....next weekend is our Missouri Rifle Opener and I plan on putting down a nice Buck,unless I get 1 this week with my Bow?I've passed on 2 Doe's and had 2 Young Bucks under my stand....got a nice 8 & 10 Pointer running around here that have been nocturnal for months hopefully the Rut will have them out cruising and they make a mistake?
Old 11-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL@Sheridan

Yeah,my Buddy can sleep standing up....don't know how He manages to kill anything each year but He gets it done!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:05 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

That is strange to hardly see a deer in 5 years! Obviously, they are neither feeding on your land nor traveling to feeding areas, but perhaps bedding there after dark.

A remedy would be a food plot - these are legal in Missouri I believe. Doesn't have to be huge and you could even start with a small plot put in with garden tools (a tiller is helpful) and expand each year. Also, perhaps you are spending too much time prepping stands, checking cams, etc - this can cause deer to avoid your area during day hours. Best bet is to stay entirely away a good month before season - let the deer's first notice of you be right after the arrow passes through them!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MZS
Best bet is to stay entirely away a good month before season - let the deer's first notice of you be right after the arrow passes through them!
Well, right on !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.