Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shot placement and Hornady interlock ? >

Shot placement and Hornady interlock ?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot placement and Hornady interlock ?

Old 10-31-2014, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shot placement and Hornady interlock ?

With a 3006 at 200 yards with a 150 gr. bullet be good to take a shoulder shot with the Hornady interlock ?
What about 100 yards as well ?
Old 11-01-2014, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any place that is vital would be a good place to put the bullet. Deer ain't bulletproof and the Hornady is a fine bullet for deer. The range has absolutely nothing to do with it. Put a Hornady into the vital area and you can get the skinning knife ready. I can't even begin to count the number of game animals I've put down with a 162 gr Hornady BTSP out of my 7mm Mag at ranges up to 400 yards.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
Any place that is vital would be a good place to put the bullet. Deer ain't bulletproof and the Hornady is a fine bullet for deer. The range has absolutely nothing to do with it. Put a Hornady into the vital area and you can get the skinning knife ready. I can't even begin to count the number of game animals I've put down with a 162 gr Hornady BTSP out of my 7mm Mag at ranges up to 400 yards.
Good to hear cause' I just got some !
Federal 150 gr left a small exit at 70 yards last year.
He went 15 yards (it was the power shok feds.)
I'm wanting something to hold together to give an exit.

Thank you for your reply !
Old 11-01-2014, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know what you expect in an exit hole, I would like to know what you consider small. A deer that only went 15 yards and dropped is a well hit deer and not a deer that would get away. Some deer will drop in their tracks, some will not, I have had many of both. I really don't get your complaint about the federal ammo you used because your deer went 15 yards before it fell. They all do not fall down like they were pole axed. Yesterday you wanted to know if a bonded bullet would do what you want because you had a deer drop 20 yards after it was hit and one by your son go 100 yards. I am trying to understand what you expect. Ther exit hole doesn't mean all that much, a lethal shot is a lethal shot and by the time a bullet makes an exit hole the damage has been done on the inside, the lungs will still be soup in the chest cavity regardless of the size of the exit hole, if bone is not hit, it is not unusual for the exit hole only to be a little larger than the entrance hole. A huge exit hole with a bad hit doesn't mean a thing and a small exit hole with a good hit doesn't mean much either. It appears you are looking for a magic bullet, there is no such thing. I suspect you do not have much experience based on your posts but as long as you are using a cartridge from a reputable manufacture of a large enough caliber, the hunt for a super bullet is a waste of time, placing the round in the right location in the animal is what you want to count on.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-01-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:05 AM
Spike

Only place I put my shots. Blow out the shoulder, or ever so slightly behind it.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I don't know what you expect in an exit hole, I would like to know what you consider small. A deer that only went 15 yards and dropped is a well hit deer and not a deer that would get away. Some deer will drop in their tracks, some will not, I have had many of both. I really don't get your complaint about the federal ammo you used because your deer went 15 yards before it fell. They all do not fall down like they were pole axed. Yesterday you wanted to know if a bonded bullet would do what you want because you had a deer drop 20 yards after it was hit and one by your son go 100 yards. I am trying to understand what you expect. Ther exit hole doesn't mean all that much, a lethal shot is a lethal shot and by the time a bullet makes an exit hole the damage has been done on the inside, the lungs will still be soup in the chest cavity regardless of the size of the exit hole, if bone is not hit, it is not unusual for the exit hole only to be a little larger than the entrance hole. A huge exit hole with a bad hit doesn't mean a thing and a small exit hole with a good hit doesn't mean much either. It appears you are looking for a magic bullet, there is no such thing. I suspect you do not have much experience based on your posts but as long as you are using a cartridge from a reputable manufacture of a large enough caliber, the hunt for a super bullet is a waste of time, placing the round in the right location in the animal is what you want to count on.
What you are saying is true in every way.
It seems like I'm looking for magic but I'm not.
I'm very thankful for success, please don't get me wrong.
I want a bullet that holds together and gives me an exit with plenty of blood just in case.
The 270 win. Kill was in the morning , I had time to look.
For evening hunts I want blood for just in case.
My buck didn't bleed and it was almost dark, I'm thankful he didn't leave the field.
Yeah it sounds crazy ! I'll get it together and I'll keep experimenting until get the right formula.

Now , at 200 yards with a 3006 150 gr. interlock soft point, shoulder , behind the shoulder or front chest ?

I really appreciate everyone's time and please forgive my ignorance !
Just fishing for answers !
Old 11-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Behind the shoulder, a brisket shot is iffy and a lot of deer are lost in that shot, not saying it won't kill but if you have another shot, take it.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use many bonded bullets for deer or black bear, reason being you don't need them, any decent cup core bullet should penetrat a deer deep enough to hit the vitals, you hit the vitals its a dead deer, some folks want an exit, have no idea why. they say it leaves a better blood trail......Hogwash!! a deer hit in the lungs will blow just as much blood out of the nose/mouth after the lungs fill with blood as will leak out of the exit hole after and if the chest cavity fills with blood to above the exit hole.
best results I have came up with is to hold off the heavy shoulder bone the first 150 yards, by then the bullet has slowed down enough that it will make the trip through both shoulders.
high velocity impacts are what keeps a bullet from exiting, the higher the velocity at impact, the harder the point of impact is the less chance the bullet will exit, bonded bullets expand like any other, the bonding is the same principle that plumbers use with soldering flux, the lead sticks to the copper and stays togather, long as its still togather it may become a mass of twisted lead and copper but if its not losing weight it keeps it momentum.
Interlocks have a ring on the inside to keep the lead core from slipping in the jacket, hit something hard enough to disrupt that ring and it will separate, so stay off heavy bone till the bullet slows down, deer are not hard to kill.
RR
Old 11-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by White Oak 06
What you are saying is true in every way.
It seems like I'm looking for magic but I'm not.
I'm very thankful for success, please don't get me wrong.
I want a bullet that holds together and gives me an exit with plenty of blood just in case.
The 270 win. Kill was in the morning , I had time to look.
For evening hunts I want blood for just in case.
My buck didn't bleed and it was almost dark, I'm thankful he didn't leave the field.
Yeah it sounds crazy ! I'll get it together and I'll keep experimenting until get the right formula.

Now , at 200 yards with a 3006 150 gr. interlock soft point, shoulder , behind the shoulder or front chest ?

I really appreciate everyone's time and please forgive my ignorance !
Just fishing for answers !
While I also prefer an exit wound, it isn't vital in killing game or even recovering game. It is the damage the bullet does to the vitals that kills game and not the number of holes in the hide. A hit that resulted in a dead deer in 15 yards is a very good hit. Not every animal will drop at the shot. Most will run since the instinct to flee is natural to them and they will cover some ground before the brain runs out of oxygen. You can blow the heart completely in pieces but the brain will still function for a little while. This is why it is very important to follow up every shot and be aware that you may find very little or even no blood at the beginning. I once tracked a bull elk almost 200 yards and never saw a single drop of blood on the ground but he was deader than Hollywood morals when I found him. Some animals simply bleed internally. It is rare, but it does happen sometimes.

The only way to ensure every deer shot drops right there is to break both front shoulders, spine them or brain them. None of them are ideal shots as far as I am concerned. Both the spine and the brain are small targets and can easily be missed and a shot that takes out both front shoulders ruins too much meat. In my opinion a shot that is just behind the shoulder about 1/3- 1/2 the way up the chest will take out the lungs and maybe the heart and will quickly kill the animal without ruining too much meat. If an animal is quartering the bullet should be placed in such a manner that the far shoulder will be hit. Such a shot has to penetrate the vitals before reaching the shoulder without regard as to what the angle is.

Remember, every shot is unique and every animal is unique and you can't expect them to react the same way every time.

Last edited by flags; 11-01-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Behind the shoulder, a brisket shot is iffy and a lot of deer are lost in that shot, not saying it won't kill but if you have another shot, take it.
The frontal shot is deadly no doubt if you do your part, but if the bullet goes above the heart, between the lungs, through the liver the deer is dead no doubt, however, more than likely the deer 1) will make the 60-100 death dash, and 2) he has 1 bullet hole in the front, on the death sprint centifrugal force will hold the blood in the rear of the chest cavity 3) most of the time the deer will be shot quartering to so the bullet will more than likely be lodged in the ham keeping the blood trail down to a minimum.
a dead deer doesn't mean much if you can't find it.
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.