Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shot placement and Hornady interlock ? >

Shot placement and Hornady interlock ?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot placement and Hornady interlock ?

Old 11-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

velocity and resistance is what expands bullets, it also causes what we call bloodshot meat. the higher the impact velocity the faster a bullet expands. the farther a bullet travels before impact the more it slows down, this is why I refrain from heavy bone shots at close range.
deer are considered light thin skinned medium game, the premium controlled expansion bullets expand slower than cup core bullets, in they're designed window on velocity they expand just like cup/core bullets, just they perform in a higher velocity window.
cup/core bullets work best from 2500-2800 fps, premiums do the same at 3100-3300 fps, at slower velocities they expand less, basicly your looking for a happy medium on deer sized game, to find a "happier" medium with mid level cartridges, just stay off the shoulder till the bullet slows a bit, in the smaller cartridges you can get by with solid hits closer.
RR
Old 11-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've used Hornady Interlock bullets for years with great success in .243, .270, 7-08, and 30-06 for whitetails, mulies, pronghorn and black bear at ranges from literally point blank to over 400 yards. As several have said a premium bullet isn't necessary. What I've done that works for me is to visualize a ball in the deer's chest between the shoulders with the center just behind the shoulder. I aim for the center of that 'ball' no matter the angle. Putting the bullet in this location I've never lost an animal. And most that were broadside or quartering away were DRT.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
velocity and resistance is what expands bullets, it also causes what we call bloodshot meat. the higher the impact velocity the faster a bullet expands. the farther a bullet travels before impact the more it slows down, this is why I refrain from heavy bone shots at close range.
deer are considered light thin skinned medium game, the premium controlled expansion bullets expand slower than cup core bullets, in they're designed window on velocity they expand just like cup/core bullets, just they perform in a higher velocity window.
cup/core bullets work best from 2500-2800 fps, premiums do the same at 3100-3300 fps, at slower velocities they expand less, basicly your looking for a happy medium on deer sized game, to find a "happier" medium with mid level cartridges, just stay off the shoulder till the bullet slows a bit, in the smaller cartridges you can get by with solid hits closer.
RR
Interlock 3006 150 gr. Is 2392 fps at 200 yards
Old 11-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I've used Hornady Interlock bullets for years with great success in .243, .270, 7-08, and 30-06 for whitetails, mulies, pronghorn and black bear at ranges from literally point blank to over 400 yards. As several have said a premium bullet isn't necessary. What I've done that works for me is to visualize a ball in the deer's chest between the shoulders with the center just behind the shoulder. I aim for the center of that 'ball' no matter the angle. Putting the bullet in this location I've never lost an animal. And most that were broadside or quartering away were DRT.
Good deal and A men to your signature !
Old 11-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

What'd I tell you before?

For double shoulders with standard bullets stay with 180s in the 06 or 160s in the 7-08.

For double shoulders with premium bullets or ESPECIALLY with monos like the Barnes, 130-150s in the 06 & 120-140s in 7-08 are fine.

The only "danger" of a 150 lead core thru the shoulder joint is it not penetrating both lungs. A deer can make 150-200yds on 1 lung. He'll still die but the blood trail may or may not be easy to follow. THAT is why I want a 200% chance of an exit EVERYTIME!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
What'd I tell you before?

For double shoulders with standard bullets stay with 180s in the 06 or 160s in the 7-08.

For double shoulders with premium bullets or ESPECIALLY with monos like the Barnes, 130-150s in the 06 & 120-140s in 7-08 are fine.

The only "danger" of a 150 lead core thru the shoulder joint is it not penetrating both lungs. A deer can make 150-200yds on 1 lung. He'll still die but the blood trail may or may not be easy to follow. THAT is why I want a 200% chance of an exit EVERYTIME!
Even if they have locked cores or bonded , stay away from shoulders ?
I'm starting from scratch since the Barnes are defects
Old 11-02-2014, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

inside 100 yards if you shoot a deer in the shoulder straight through with a 150 interlock, here in my best guess of what will happen, the bullet may or may not exit. but you'll probably lose both shoulders due to bloodshot meat.
behind the shoulder and all the bone encountered is rib in, rib out you will lose just a little meat, bullet will most probably exit. Both deer will sprint 50-75 yards and both will die.
which is better?
RR
Old 11-02-2014, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

you read a lot about DRT, it happens a lot, most of the time when the bullet completely uses its energy inside the deer. some say its from hydrostatic shock, some say hydraulic shock, its actually a combination of both. a bullet that is designed to work best, (mushroom and penetrate), at 2800 fps, slams into a deer at its point of most resistance(middle of the shoulder bone) @ 3000 fps, immediately fragmenting and creating a massive wound channel, since deer is mostly water other than bone, the water is displaced by the shock wave created by the bullet, bad things happen to the deer at this point.
Blood is suddenly and violently pumped both directions from the point of impact through the major blood vessels (hydraulic), the lungs collapse (hydrostatic), the intestines are compressed, all the while that massive shockwave is traveling both directions from POI till it hits the central nervous system (the brainstem) this overwhelms the entire system causing an emergency shutdown of everything (yep it ruins their day). the deer is still alive at this point but expires before the systems are restarted, it works, no tracking but ruins meat like no other shot.
the head/neck shooting has the same effect but the deer dies instantly and doesn't bleed out internally as well.
this is my opinion after over 40 years of deer hunting in a target rich environment
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 11-02-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

[QU very much O duelTE=Ridge Runner;4167342]you read a lot about DRT, it happens a lot, most of the time when the bullet completely uses its energy inside the deer. some say its from hydrostatic shock, some say hydraulic shock, its actually a combination of both. a bullet that is designed to work best, (mushroom and penetrate), at 2800 fps, slams into a deer at its point of most resistance(middle of the shoulder bone) @ 3000 fps, immediately fragmenting and creating a massive wound channel, since deer is mostly water other than bone, the water is displaced by the shock wave created by the bullet, bad things happen to the deer at this point.
Blood is suddenly and violently pumped both directions from the point of impact through the major blood vessels (hydraulic), the lungs collapse (hydrostatic), the intestines are compressed, all the while that massive shockwave is traveling both directions from POI till it hits the central nervous system (the brainstem) this overwhelms the entire system causing an emergency shutdown of everything (yep it ruins their day). the deer is still alive at this point but expires before the systems are restarted, it works, no tracking but ruins meat like no other shot.
the head/neck shooting has the same effect but the deer dies instantly and doesn't bleed out internally as well.
this is my opinion after over 40 years of deer hunting in a target rich environment
RR[/QUOTE]

That's an in depth description of terminal affects.
My first experience at this shoulder shot thing last year was with a cheap fed. 150 gr. 3006 at 70 yards on a big bodied buck , I aimed at the lower part of the shoulder and that's where it went.
It went in and took a left and upward out with a small exit , he went 15 to 20 yards.

I thought maybe with a bonded or a locked core in 150 gr. I would have better results and wanting to know if I could do the same at 200 yards because I have opened up the woods to plant an extra plot.

I guess I'll have to keep it tight behind the shoulder this year and use some 180s next year.

When I look up bullet lengths from 150s 165s and 180s, the added length is so small that I can't believe it makes that much of a difference !
Old 11-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by White Oak 06

When I look up bullet lengths from 150s 165s and 180s, the added length is so small that I can't believe it makes that much of a difference !
check the sectional density of those different bullets, that will give you more of an idea of how they penetrate
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.