Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Roast & Stew meat

Old 10-31-2014, 09:52 AM
Spike

Default Roast & Stew meat

I have roast & stew meat left over from last year. I typically only eat what I can put on the BBQ.

I have no patience to cook a roast or stew for 3 hours. No desire, and no one else around me eats deer. So I can't cook a whole roast anyway.

When I hunt this season, what can I do with the roast & stew meat ?
Can I cut the roast into steaks ? or grind it up ???
Old 10-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

In short, yes.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

It takes no patients to make soup really. Its cooks itself while you do whatever you want. Makes great vegetable stew.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can chip the meat very thin while it is frozen and make cheese steak sandwiches. You will never go back to beef. What cuts are you calling stew meat?
Old 10-31-2014, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You can chip the meat very thin while it is frozen and make cheese steak sandwiches. You will never go back to beef. What cuts are you calling stew meat?
that sounds pretty good. I do believe I will try that.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Better than any cheese steak I ever bought. I chip the meat as thin as I can get it while it is frozen, I use a very thin sharp cleaver but a good meat slicer would be faster. Then saute sliced onions in olive oil in a really big skillet until they are soft. Then pull the onions to the side of the pan and turn the heat up a little and put in the meat and salt and pepper to taste and fry the meat, keep stiring it with a wooden spatula untill it is all cooked, it does not take long. I then ad some tomato sauce that I cooked up earlier and kept warm with a little garlic and onion powder and a pinch of dried oregano added. Just enough to wet the meat, if you like more go ahead and add more, but I don't like it drowning in cause because I like to taste the meat. Than add slices of provelone cheese on top and let it begin to melt, stir the cheese through everything till it is evenely spread throughout and put it in a good roll, add some hot pepper rings and enjoy. I should add I chip the venison earlier in the day and put it in a bowl lined with paper towels and stick it in the fridge. This allows the meat to thaw completely and all the blood will soak into the paper towles and the meat will be drier and fry withot making a lot of juice, you don't want juice, if you start to get it, turn up the heat a little.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-31-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Easy "wait" .... use a Crock Pot .... cover the roast in chopped onions, belle pepper, carrots, and celery. About a cup each. Add salt and pepper to taste. Throw in a box of vegetable stock and a can of cream of onion soup. Set on high. Head out for an afternoon hunt. Come back to a great meal.

Or .... cut the roast into cubes. Same as above. Add fresh green peas and 'tater cubes. Heck of a nice hot stew.

Or .... lots of mushrooms, box or two of beef stock, can of cream of mushroom soup. Seasonong. Just before , thicken with corn starch. Serve over rice or creamed potatoes. Mmmm good.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Better than any cheese steak I ever bought. I chip the meat as thin as I can get it while it is frozen, I use a very thin sharp cleaver but a good meat slicer would be faster. Then saute sliced onions in olive oil in a really big skillet until they are soft. Then pull the onions to the side of the pan and turn the heat up a little and put in the meat and salt and pepper to taste and fry the meat, keep stiring it with a wooden spatula untill it is all cooked, it does not take long. I then ad some tomato sauce that I cooked up earlier and kept warm with a little garlic and onion powder and a pinch of dried oregano added. Just enough to wet the meat, if you like more go ahead and add more, but I don't like it drowning in cause because I like to taste the meat. Than add slices of provelone cheese on top and let it begin to melt, stir the cheese through everything till it is evenely spread throughout and put it in a good roll, add some hot pepper rings and enjoy. I should add I chip the venison earlier in the day and put it in a bowl lined with paper towels and stick it in the fridge. This allows the meat to thaw completely and all the blood will soak into the paper towles and the meat will be drier and fry withot making a lot of juice, you don't want juice, if you start to get it, turn up the heat a little.
Thanks, Always looking for new ideas.

We usually just do roast just like Italian beef or cube it and make a really good vegetable stew/soup.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like to make a venison stew with a bottle of Guiness in it cooked till it is thick and the meat is so soft you hardly have to chew, I also like to make venson Chile with both cubes and ground venison. I enjoy cooking venison as much as I like huntng for it.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

What cuts did you think steaks come from?

Top round, bottom round and sirloin tip roasts can all be cut into steaks.

A neck roast or a shoulder roast, not so much.

Obvioulsy the loins can be roasted whole or steaked, butterflied, etc.

And of course, you can grind any roast. If you'd use ground venison go ahead and grind away!

Lately I've made a few venison pastramis by brining then smoking whole top rounds and bottom rounds. Let it cool, slice it thin and stand back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.