Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Canning Venison - It's Easier Than You Think! >

Canning Venison - It's Easier Than You Think!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Canning Venison - It's Easier Than You Think!

Old 10-31-2014, 06:29 AM
Spike

Default Canning Venison - It's Easier Than You Think!

Have you ever canned venison? We started canning our venison scraps a few years ago and it is incredible. The moist meat just falls apart and is great for burrito or taco filling. The meat is ready to eat so it is a good way to make quick, easy meals.

Check this site out for info on How To Can Venison: http://www.growinghunters.com/canning-venison/
Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Spike

My wife cans it and it is my favorite way by far to eat it. Put some over some rice.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

We also like to can it.
Here is a recipe to start you off.

Venison Burrito’s
1. 1 to 1 ˝ lbs of venison burger
2. 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
3. 1 cup of sour cream
4. 2 small cans of mild green chilies
5. 1 cup shredded co jack cheese
6. 1 cup cheddar cheese
7. 8 or 10” tortilla shells.
Brown burger and drain, in a sauce pan mix soup, sour cream and chilies,
Using a 9x13 pan or dish coat bottom with soup mixture. Put a table spoon burger in a shell with a tablespoon of each cheese roll up and put in dish. Do this until dish is full should be between 8 and 10. Pour remaining soup over burritos and spread rest of cheese over soup mixture. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese has melted.
When serving have salsa and sour cream ready.
Options beef, chicken strips or turkey can be substituted for venison.
We add some diced onions and extra mushrooms.
You can add jalapeno’s if you want or any other hot pepper

Al
Old 11-01-2014, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

I started canning venison about three seasons ago. I try to kill a small doe each year and can the entire thing (Minus loins and back strap.) The rest I cube and can. I took make burritos, sandwiches, noodles, etc. with it.
For some of you old school folks it is important (in my opinion) to use a pressure canner and not just a large pot. Meat is a low acid food and needs higher temps then veggies and other stuff that is canned in boiling water.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

I'm going to can some venison tonight. I've already canned pork, beef, and ham, but this will be the first venison. Do you guys add salt or any spices to yours? I'll be using the cold pack method and a pressure canner.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been doing it for years. Makes excellent strogenoff also. Is also good in soups, chille, hot dishes, just about anything you can think of.

I also can my wild turkey. Bone out the breasts an vac seal them, thighs and drums I put in the pressure cooker, with just enough water to cover the meat. Bring it up to temp, and cook for 20 min. Let it cool down completly. Remove meat and the bones and tendons fall off. Put meat in jars, and use water left from the p cooking, and fill to 1/2 from lids. Install lids and pressure cook as per directions for chicken in the manual. I just made some soup for supper with it. It's just as good as the venison!
Old 12-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hartski
I'm going to can some venison tonight. I've already canned pork, beef, and ham, but this will be the first venison. Do you guys add salt or any spices to yours? I'll be using the cold pack method and a pressure canner.
You don't need to add any salt, but you can if you want. We do put a 1/4 teaspoon of beef bouillon in the bottom of the jar before packing meat in.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Spike

Throwing in a spoon full of Lipton's onion soup mix is really good in canned venison too.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

If I don't pints I put one bullion cube on top and and quarts I will use two. I also put a small amount of beef broth in each jar.
I haven't experimented much with it because it is so good that way I am afraid I will try something new and not like it.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Spike

I like to can mine too. I just raw pack it plain. I make venison stroganoff by making gravey and adding mushrooms and sour cream. I also add some kind of browning sauce like kitchen bouquet or maggi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.