Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting on Ag Land

Old 10-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Spike

Default Hunting on Ag Land

I need some insight.

I have been preparing all season to hunt on my Father in-laws farm in middle TN. All areas have been harvested but the gentleman who handles the farming has been behind and there is a lot of corn still yet to be harvested as well as soy. My first thought is that this is good for us since we have the most food source on our land.

I am planning a big weekend hunt next weekend. I was just informed by my Father in- law that, on that Monday they will be doing some harvesting. My question is if they harvest on Monday -Wednesday, will it push the Deer out for the weekend hunt?

Maybe a dumb question but this is my first time hunting Ag land. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are used to the disturbance of harvesting. Hopefully you have some woods and wooded fence rows to go with the harvested fields? Set up with the wind in your favor and see what happens. Adjust as needed. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Spike

Default Can be done

I have seen many deer killed off farm equipment. Can only find out by trying.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Spike

Also a trick I've known guys to use is if they know there is a big buck working around a area they won't go get on a stand or go in a truck. They'll go on a tractor opposed to a truck and sometimes that's enough to fool a buck. Seen it done more than once.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely not, Its more likely to draw them on than run them out.....hunt the freshly harvested corn even if the combine is going when your there.

This is good news for you not bad news

Last edited by rockport; 10-30-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:29 AM
Fork Horn

I have killed a few deer off a cotton picker. As well as pulling grain trailers from the combine.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7mag_Jake
I have seen many deer killed off farm equipment. Can only find out by trying.

Yup!! I shot a nice buck one time while sitting on a hay baler that had just got parked in a field. Deer can be really curious creatures at times....other times they can be spooked by their own shadow. I hunt a lot on a dairy farm where they grow/harvest corn also. They have deer anywhere and everywhere at all times. I think they search the freshly harvested soil for easy pickins that fell. I saw corn cobs here and there as of last weekend w piles of scat all over. I think you'll be just fine w your scenario.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Spike

Smile

IF you think it is a bad situation to have I will gladly trade you places. corn and soy just cut down laying on ground to be picked up. you don't know it but the farmer just rang the dinner bell for the deer.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had successful hunts on days that farmers have been in the fields.