Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Rifle - First Hunt

Old 10-30-2014, 03:52 AM
Spike

Default First Rifle - First Hunt

Hi.

Thought I'd share my setup for this year's deer hunting season. Since it's going to be my first time, I was going to get a cheap setup (a complete rifle/scope kit) but after a few research, I decided to invest more and get a nice, trustable rifle that would last. Although the total price doubled, I'm satisfied. Here's what I end up with :

Weapon : Remington 700, 30-06 caliber
Scope : Bushnell Elite 3-9x40mm
Mount : Remington high mount (rings)
Bipod : Caldwell XLA 9''-13''

That said, I'm planning on going at the shooting range at least once a week or two week and thinking of entering precision contests or something like that soon... We'll see!

Will post a picture tonight! I am supposed to adjust the scope at the range tomorrow or Friday and see how this new baby goes before saturday (beginning of deer hunting).

I also have a 12 gauge shotgun, which is a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum (Waterfowl Camo), which I use for small games hunting and for clay shooting.

I always had a preference for this brand and the 2 firearms I bought are being manufactured since 1950-1960s so I don't think I was wrong by picking them

Talk to you soon and hopefully I'll have a nice trophy before Christmas.

Feel free to suggest stuff I could buy / do, I'm a rookie I'll be going with an experimented old friend this weekend and see how it is.

Last edited by Eduskator; 10-30-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:21 AM
Spike

Good luck. The model 700 has been the benchmark for bolt action performance for a long time.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

NICE! I typicaly stay away from Remingtons stuff, But the 700 is one I will always buy.

Good choice of scope, and caliber, its hard to beat a 30-06.

Hope you can put one down this weekend!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Those are great rifles.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Spike

Thanks!!

I had choice between the 30-06 or the 308 but I prefered 30-06 since it's one of the oldest caliber. I don't think I'll be disappointed!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Hope that you got a shooter.