Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Deer Hunting Rifle

Old 10-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

As you can see there are many choices. I grew up using a Winchester .30-.30 in a lever action side discharge with open sights. Killed many deer with that rifle in NW PA. I now have a Remington 74 in a .270 with a 4X9 Charles Daly scope bought many years ago. Using that here in Central Va. To me the best one is to try and shoot as many as you can and get one you are comfortable with. Get a good name brand in a caliber that will do what you think will work. I do not think you can go wrong with any that have been mentioned here.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Spike

Aside from buying an "off-brand" that most haven't heard of, you really can't go wrong. I've had my first deer rifle for 22 years, and I don't think I've put more than 6 boxes of shells thru it. Most from sighting in before the season.

Between your 2 calibers, I would go with the 30-06. Great all-around caliber and tons of ammo available anywhere. But, if you chose the 270, you wouldn't be making a bad decision.

I have a Ruger M77mkII in .308, which is basically a 30-06 in a short cartridge. My knock on the Ruger is the trigger pull, 7 million pounds!!! But, it's all I had for many years and it's shot it's fair share of deer. (ie: you get used to things). I picked up a Thompson Center Venture a couple years ago in 7mm mag. It's a fantastic gun, in your price range. Adjustable trigger and guaranteed MOA, and mine shoots fantastic. Has a composite stock that fit me better than its competitors, and I topped it with a Zeiss Conquest scope. As someone has already stated, spend your money on your scope. If you asked whether you should get a $500 gun and $150 scope, or a $300 gun and a $350 scope, I would suggest the latter. Go to the shop and shoulder a few. What feels good to others may not to you. Buy the one that 'talks' to you.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Spike

I have several Nikon Prostaff scopes on my guns. Pretty solid optics for the price. Will give you many years of good service.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

270 will do all that you ask. As stated, go to a shop and choose what talks to you.