Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Deer Hunting Rifle

Old 10-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Spike

Default First Deer Hunting Rifle

Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie looking for some help here. I am really looking forward to purchasing my first rifle, primarily for deer hunting here in PA, but am quite lost on what I should buy. I've done a lot of Google searching and have come across suggestions for a Marlin X7, Stevens 200, Savage Arms 111, Savage Axis, Remington 770 (which I read is poop), Remington 700...etc etc.

I don't know where to start. I am also wondering if a 270 Win would be better than a .30-06 (ammo availability, type of hunting, etc).

So, excuse my newbieness, but can I get some help here? Ultimately, I want to buy a rifle that will last and that I can even pass down to my little son some day. I don't want a budget rifle for the sake of having a rifle, but if there are ones out there for less than $500 that would be worth it, I'm all ears!

Again, I'm in Pennsylvania, and will most likely be in the woods more than not. I do have some friends with farmland and open spaces they hunt in, but more often than not it is in the woods.

If there are other things you guys would need to know in order to better direct me, I would really appreciate it. I'm a novice with terms, as well, so if you use a bunch of acronyms, you'll confuse me more.

Cheers!

Last edited by RoKozak; 10-28-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Spike

Browning AB3. Super quality rifle for around $500. It will last your lifetime, and a lifetime after if treated well. Compared to other rifles in it's price range, I just feel like its a very good choice. 270 or 30-06 would both be just fine for deer. I like 30-06 out of those two.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Spike

You can't go wrong with a nice used rifle, either. This would actually get you a better gun, with the price tag you want. You could get one of these for around/under $600, used but in new condition.

Browning X Bolt
Remington Model 700
Winchester Model 70
Ruger M77

All proven platforms.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Spike

I've read quite a bit about a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP that comes with a Nikon scope for around ~$500. Any thoughts on this guy, as well?

I appreciate your input! This is helpful...
Old 10-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

not sure on the rifle cost but i would look at the .257 roberts for a deer gun or maybe a marlin lever gun in .444 lots of thick woods in pa
Old 10-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Spike

Try to put just as much $$$ in the scope as you do in the gun. Savage rifles are reasonably priced with room for a scope purchase. They are known for their accuracy as well. Can't go wrong with one of those. My personal preference is 270.

Last edited by KyleCulwell; 10-28-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by KyleCulwell
Try to put just as much $$$ in the scope as you do in the gun. Savage rifles are reasonably priced with room for a scope purchase. They are known for their accuracy as well. Can't go wrong with one of those. My personal preference is 270.
+1

I like what Kyle said !

Seems you have already done some research.

You might find this helpful also.......................

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles.htm
Old 10-29-2014, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I second the used rifle and a name brand one with a good reputation as suggested all ready. Buy from a reputable dealer so if you do have a problem they can make it right.
I bought a used Remington 700 with a Loopy scope that I never in my life could have afforded new.

My first rifle was a used Winchester model 94 in 30-30 served me well for about 15 years. Still own it today 55 years latter and it has a reputation in the family as my gun to take when hunting in the rain and wet slush snows we have some times here in Michigan.

Al
Old 10-29-2014, 04:25 AM
Spike

I shoot Savage 30-06. I like some of the older Savages better on wooden stocks, but all of the new ones are affordable, out of the box accuracy. You cant go wrong. Also, I prefer the 30-06 because its proven in every application. Plus, the ammo is as widely spread as it gets, and affordable for that reason. You can also get military rounds and any kind of round you want for any target, easily available and plentiful. The .270 miiiiight shoot a little flatter, but I think the 30-06 is a better overall round. Its all about preference really.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up New Deer rifle

Every one's pretty well summed it up. Stick with a quality rifle in your price range. The new Browning sounds nice, But i can only go by what iv'e read. I use a 1961 Savage 110 in 30-06, Rifle is a tack driver, with a Nikon 3 x 9 x 40 scope , I like the 06 the best for cal. Lot's of diffarent loading's , and will take every thing on the North American contenant. I also have a Remi 700 in 243,. 06 I use for stand hunting, But when I still hunt, I use a J.M. Marlin 336 in 30-30 Win. With a Nikon 2 x 7 x 32 scope. Handles quick. So, what do you want , a lever gun or a bolt gun. Go to a store and handle both , for fit and feel.Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.