Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Moving a treestand?

Old 10-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Moving a treestand?

I have a stand that was in a good tree but after the rain last week the tree shifted and is very uncomfortable to sit in. It is a hang on with climbing sticks. I like the location and can move to another tree about 30 yards away. My question is : will moving the stand ruin the spot before the rut?

Thanks
Jed
Old 10-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

No it shouldn't

Edit: I guess I should be more specific. Anytime your in the woods your going to hunt it can make a difference but if your already there moving the stand shouldn't make any difference.

Last edited by rockport; 10-27-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

It shouldn't. you can cut firewood in an afternoon and see deer that same evening in the place in the woods.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep in mind, having confidence in your spot is half the battle when trying to spend as much time in it as possible, especially during the rut and the chasing faze. Almost impossible to sit in a spot that is uncomfortable for any length of time.

I'd say move it a bit and don't second guess yourself for doing it. When it really comes down to it, it's about being in the right place at the right time, and the more time you spend in the woods, the greater likelyhood that may occur
Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

It shouldn't. One property I hunt the owner said she didn't want me leaving stands there overnight for whatever reason so I carry it in and set it up every time I hunt out there (only about one day a week). I've never found that it hurts anything as long as I'm quiet about it.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:57 AM
Spike

Deer are smart but not that smart to say I see that hunter who use to sit in a tree stand here moved his stand 30yds from here. as long as you don't cut too much in the area you move too and don't become become sky lined you will be fine. make sure you wear rubber gloves when clearing out an area.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Spike

You should be fine. Sometimes I've seen deer within 30 minutes of climbing up in my climbing stand. I do wear rubber boots to keep the scent to a minimum.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Spike

My dad and brother set up a ladder stand one day around lunch and were dragging a 8 point out that evening. All about place and time. I believe in luck and chance as well.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My tree stand was never permanant

I got my deer the first day it was hung.