Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethical bow hunting?

Old 10-26-2014, 07:07 PM
Spike

Default Ethical bow hunting?

I'm not necessarily acusing anyone of anything, but, I've noticed year after year there seems to be certain people who always kill one or two really big bucks every year. As many hours as I've spent in a stand, it seems almost impossible, especially when the same person is always killing big deer. What's the chances they are killing them at night with lasers or spot lights, or, other nonethical ways?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely, a few poachers are out there, unfortunately! However, real hunters which is most of the folks out there get game legal, by the rules.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum smitrock, there are skilled hunters on here who could help you get the big buck.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think that is a very fair way to think for no more of a reason than they kill big bucks every year.

I guess maybe I'm naive because I just don't get it. I guess it just seems like that defeats the whole point of hunting a big buck but I know people do it.

This weekend I took a break from the deer stand to get in one more weekend of crappie fishing as the temps went up into the mid 80s. Anyway near the lake where I camp I guess somebody shot a nice 10 pointer with a bow and it died within sight of the road and some %$&*^#!! ran out there and cut its head off before the hunter could retrieve it.

I just don't know what is wrong with some people.

I still don't think its fair to make assumptions based on nothing more than they kill big deer every year....Lots of people do that the right way.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Spike

I do agree. There are poachers out there but I personally know a few skilled hunters that put their time into scouting and managing the right piece of ground and their efforts are usually rewarded with a nice buck year after year. Its a shame that those few poachers make people second guess people that put their time in and end up with a nice buck.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not magic to find big deer, but you can't just wait until the day before season and expect it to work out in your favor. The guys that put a lot of big ones in the dirt and on the wall are scouting the properties upon which they have permission to hunt, and they know what is there to be had. If there isn't a big one in a certain area and you're after a big one, you shouldn't waste your time hunting there - it'll only end up with you taking a shot on a smaller buck that could have been bigger in subsequent seasons, or eating tag soup. So it's a pretty simple formula - get permission on ground that should/could harbor big deer, scout to find where the big deer are hanging out, do what you can to keep the big deer there, and then go kill a big deer.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Spike

I agree with most you are saying, and maybe I'm just unlucky, but I hunt mostly all public ground so planting plots is out of the question.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:18 AM
Spike

Default legal hunting.

I think people who shoot big bucks almost every year put in their dues. I have people tell me your lucky. I wish I had your luck. for me it is scouting ,trail cams, hanging 3 or more stands, and passing on bucks any other average hunter will shoot. last year I had 3 bucks 2 small 6pts, could have been brothers and, a small 8 come out 1st night and I passed them up. all legal in Ohio. If you shoot a small one you will never shoot a big buck. yes sometimes I have to eat tag soup but I have learned to keep some spices around to make it taste a little better. Not all big buck hunters use illegal ways to get a big buck. I think they put forward a lot more effort then the average hunter to bag a big buck.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

there just might be a lot of nice bucks where that person hunts...sure it takes skill but availability also helps.

There are more that follow the rules than those that dont...
Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
there just might be a lot of nice bucks where that person hunts...sure it takes skill but availability also helps.

There are more that follow the rules than those that dont...
Right, I know a guy that kills monsters almost every year and he don't scout AT ALL he really doesn't even care about hunting that much . He almost always kills a stud opening morning.

Here is how. He is a farmer where big bucks live...he sees them and what they are doing all year long while working.

I guess I should add he does it during gun season not bow season. When gun season starts he has been driving a combine around the farm for about a month and a half.

Last edited by rockport; 10-27-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.