Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hey Hatchie luvr

Old 10-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hey Hatchie luvr

Saw your review on midway USA Web site.
Do those ttsx 120s in 708 or 3006 do well at close range ?
What would be the longest range with both calibers? I keep hearing they need speed to expand.
The minimum ft lbs of energy from these factory load ?

Thank you !
Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I've been hunting with Barnes' since the 90s in over a dozen rifles & they are essentially my preference "across the board". First let me say I don't adhere to "foot pounds/energy/knock down" theories about killing big game animals. If 1000ft# was needed for deer I couldn't understand why that same 1000ft# would also kill elk, moose etc... & based on that "requirement/need" most handguns like a .357Mag, 45Colt etc would NOT kill a deer at ANY range! I am much more content with my 3 decades of experience that proves to me that if I put a hole in BOTH lungs (or even better, both lungs & the heart) then that critter ISN'T long for this world! I also MUCH prefer an entry AND exit hole for creating blood trails that Ray Charles & Stevie Wonder could follow.

IMHO the 120/7mm TTSX is proving to be a perfect weight for the 7-08. Being a Barnes it still out penetrates the vast majority of other standard designed/cup-core bullets but that weight still allows 3k fps muzzle velocities & flat trajectory without increasing recoil nor muzzle blast. (That's why I so strongly recommend them for women's/kids guns yet they don't give anything up like "reduced loads" do) Barnes aren't very dependent upon Sectional Density like regular/lead nosed, conventional bullets for penetration so conventional "weight for penetration" rules can be tossed. I would confidently shoot the 120 TTSX in either my 280 or 7mags likewise even tho I keep them stoked with 140 TSXs.

The 130/30cal I had ALOT of experience with in the late 90s was the standard/original X-bullet that was fired at nearly 4,000 fps from my Sako TRG Lazzeroni Warbird. I TRIED to blow that bullet up but never could! I suppose "in theory" I might've snapped the "copper petals" off of the expanded nose at such velocities but I never saw evidence on any of the game. I switched to the 150TSX a couple of years later once they came out just because they were more accurate (1/2" @ 100yds vs 1.5" for the 130 Xs) The original X-bullets were not as accurate as the TSX-TTSX versions. That dropped velocity "down" too 3700ish fps. Again, I've TRIED to stop &/or destroy these bullets but never have. I know from personal experience that a 150TSX will FULLY/lengthwise penetrate a whitetail at 2800fps. (Shot a deer "TX heartshot style" at 305 lasered yds with the 150 in my Lazzeroni, impact velocity would've been that 2800 figure) That makes a mighty good argument for the 150s use in the 308/30-06 on deer. I likewise have 2 06s & can vouch for that bullet in them! Old school thought said, "For through the lungs shoot 150s. For through the shoulders shoot 180s" I say why not just shoot 150 Barnes & enjoy BOTH options???

As far as your expansion question, that's hard to say because in ALL cases I've never recovered a Barnes fired into a game animal. I've shot them from my 22-250 up to my 50cal Savage smokeless & they just don't stay in! Velocity wise I think most Barnes Xs are "designed" to "initiate expansion" at velocities as low as 1500-1700ish fps. In other words the faster they go the better they work! I've seen & lost deer with blown up hollow points, ballistic tips, corelokts & even Nosler Partitions that were asked to penetrate to much body or bone. I've NEVER had such an issue with a Barnes EXCEPT in the cases of my boys 243s with the Barnes & 200+# bucks. Thus the reason they now shoots 7-08s & a45-70 at "swamp monsters".

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 10-26-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

I guess your blood trails means they are expanding pretty good.
I seen on the tube about the lrx barnes saying they were good for short or long range so that was one of reasons I was asking.

I am definitely going to run the ttsx this year.

Thank you so much for your help !!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by White Oak 06
I guess your blood trails means they are expanding pretty good.
I seen on the tube about the lrx barnes saying they were good for short or long range so that was one of reasons I was asking.

I am definitely going to run the ttsx this year.

Thank you so much for your help !!!!
Good luck & I think you'll be happy with what you find. Keep us posted!