HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Pa muzzle loader (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/394981-pa-muzzle-loader.html)

30-06 deerslayer 10-18-2014 07:50 PM

Pa muzzle loader

Any one go out in Pa. muzzle loader season today. It was not the best weather out there. Rain and windy all morning. I think the wind and rain got the deer to bed down early and wait it out.

ojibwa 10-19-2014 05:27 AM

do they still have that stupid antiquated law where you can only use a flint lock ?

Oldtimr 10-19-2014 06:19 AM

Actually, it is a great law, and at the end of the deer season when most people don't venture out doors and the legal buck have been picked over pretty well and some have already lost antlers. It starts the day after Christmas. It gets damned cold up here that time of year, this isn't GA. And, it is a flintlock season after all, not a muzzle loader season. What the poster is talking about is the the actual muzzleloader season, antlerless deer only where you can use inline, percussion or flintlock. You probably should not be calling other states rules stupid, I am pretty sure we could find some of yours less than desirable but are gentleman enough not to say it since it is not our sate.

muzzlestuffer 10-19-2014 07:12 AM

yeah i agree with you i think it's a good law for flintlock only even though i don't have one just percussion and in lines i would love to have a season that would limit other hunters in the woods !

Bocajnala 10-19-2014 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ojibwa (Post 4164869)
do they still have that stupid antiquated law where you can only use a flint lock ?

This is PA's muzzleloader season. Just an antlerless only muzzleloader season. The PA Flintlock season happens after Christmas and it is a great time. It's typically cold, nasty weather and it's a fun season to hunt.
-Jake

hatchet jack 10-19-2014 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by bocajnala (Post 4164952)
this is pa's muzzleloader season. Just an antlerless only muzzleloader season. The pa flintlock season happens after christmas and it is a great time. It's typically cold, nasty weather and it's a fun season to hunt.
-jake

x2 !!! Right on ! Pa flintlock season is a great time in the woods!!!!!

Hj

60X Custom Strings 10-19-2014 05:06 PM

I was out with the bow but didn't see much of anything. Pretty slow week for me.

30-06 deerslayer 10-20-2014 12:38 AM

muzzle loader season

The Muzzle Loader season I was talking about started on Sat. and runs to next Sat. You can use an inline. It messes up archery hunters for a week. After xmas they have a flintlock only season in Pa. I think the PGC. has it ass backwards if you ask me. It should be flintlock in Oct. and inline in Dec. but what do I know I am only a hunter who has hunted for 42yrs. now. I guess the guy sitting at a desk in Harrisburg knows how to assign hunting seasons.:mad:

mounting man 10-20-2014 02:06 AM

30-06 Deerslayer,anyhow, 5 of the guys that hunt with us,seen one very small doe,near dark. No one shot at it,too small.
It was very windy and the woods were full of squirrel hunters. The wind didn't seem to bother them,they were shooting a good bit.Lots of gun shots!
I am going to go out Thursday,but it is calling for rain. If it does,i won't be out long!

Oldtimr 10-20-2014 03:43 AM

Yep, what do you know! Flintlock hunters came to the PGC and ask for a flintlock only season, they ask for it to be after the other deer seasons were over. They Didn't care if they had a chance at big racked buck, they just wanted to be able to have a traditional hunt. Many flintlockers thing the season has been watered down too much since they can now use conical bullets and peep sights. There is a history to this season, however, like many other things, the people who also benefit from the work of others who broke the trail and lobbied for and won something unique, the spoilers come running like hyenas and want to change it. Now you do know!