Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Clean barrel / dirty barrel ?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Clean barrel / dirty barrel ?

I know copper fouling helps with keeping groups tight when it's not overly fouled with copper, but what about powder and carbon fouling ?
If I remove the powder and carbon because I need to oil my rifle when hunting in the rain, will this change poi ?

Thanks again for everyone that has been chiming in to my threads !
Old 10-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

Should be fine. After EVERY hunt I run a Boresnake through whatever rifle I used that hunt. I bought a snake for every caliber in my 3 dozen+ arsenal (including shotguns as well). If the day included rain, fog, snow etc I'll put a few drops of CLP on the "knot" of the snake where the rope meets the mop. If the weather outside is below 40ish I'll let the rifle warm to room temp & then run a snake in it & wipe the outside off to prevent/remove condensation.

I've shot Barnes bullets for over 2 decades & I'm sure "technically" my rifles are "copper fouled" but they are hunting guns, not paper punchers but I've never "stripped or defouled" the bores. I just keep powder residue & moisture out of them before sticking them back in the safes.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never hunt with a fresh cleaned, oiled barrel, it definitely changes the cold bore first shot, how much varies from rifle to rifle but its around 1 MOA minimum on average.
RR
Old 10-16-2014, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
Should be fine. After EVERY hunt I run a Boresnake through whatever rifle I used that hunt. I bought a snake for every caliber in my 3 dozen+ arsenal (including shotguns as well). If the day included rain, fog, snow etc I'll put a few drops of CLP on the "knot" of the snake where the rope meets the mop. If the weather outside is below 40ish I'll let the rifle warm to room temp & then run a snake in it & wipe the outside off to prevent/remove condensation.

I've shot Barnes bullets for over 2 decades & I'm sure "technically" my rifles are "copper fouled" but they are hunting guns, not paper punchers but I've never "stripped or defouled" the bores. I just keep powder residue & moisture out of them before sticking them back in the safes.
10 - 4 thanks!!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I never hunt with a fresh cleaned, oiled barrel, it definitely changes the cold bore first shot, how much varies from rifle to rifle but its around 1 MOA minimum on average.
RR
Do you not worry about rust in wet weather or taking it in and out from warm to cold ?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you not worry about rust in wet weather or taking it in and out from warm to cold ?
Clean and oil after the hunt. Before the next hunt, run a couple patches through with alcohol and a couple dry patches.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stripping a barrel is definitely overrated. A fouled barrel is a more accurate barrel. For long term storage, yes, clean and oil. A hard day in the field, wipe down. If a thorough cleaning is done, a fouling shot or two is definitely needed, or you will not be hitting what you are shooting at.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:48 AM
Spike

I go along with Ridge Runner I never run a oiled patch after I sight in my rifle and hunt with it. I don't shoot that many deer in a season to worry about build up. If you feel you need to run a patch thru your rifle then use a dry patch.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks you guys for the info , very helpful.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fouled barrel during hunting season if longer range shots are expected. Clean barrel the rest of the year.

For deer hunting at closer ranges it will not matter if the barrel is fouled or clean. In that situation I keep them clean.

Barrels that are not properly cleaned and oiled for storage often show the effects eventually with rust and pitting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.