Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best time to use grunt call

Old 10-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best time to use grunt call

Curious to know when a grunt call should be used. I've always hunted silent and waited for deer to walk through. I'd like to start this year calling, but am not educated on when the right time to call is. Anyone have any tips or tricks up their sleeves they could share to help me out?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had very limited results calling. Only during the peak of the rut does it seem to help at all.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
I have had very limited results calling. Only during the peak of the rut does it seem to help at all.
Same deal here. I'm sure someone will chime in & say we are doing it wrong, but doubt that's the case. It might work well in an area of high buck:doe ratios, but I don't hunt anywhere like that.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

7:30am. On Tuesdays and Fridays
Old 10-16-2014, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

Not going to say anyone is doing it "wrong", but I will say what has worked for me..

I have had success grunting year round, even during the early bow season..

In the early bow season I only use very short soft grunts [doe's grunt too] as the rut approaches and during I get a little more aggressive..

Last edited by ojibwa; 10-16-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
hehehe

Originally Posted by ojibwa
Not going to say anyone is doing it "wrong", but I will say what has worked for me..

I have had success grunting year round, even during the early bow season..

In the early bow season I only use very short soft grunts [doe's grunt too] as the rut approaches and during I get a little more aggressive..
Never knew doe's grunt. Might have to give the soft grunt a try!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BrushyPines

Never knew doe's grunt. Might have to give the soft grunt a try!
yes sir it is slightly softer then a low buck grunt, I believe they use it to communicate with fawns..
Old 10-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you see a buck you want to shoot and he is not going to give you a shot.

Also just because he doesn't turn and come straight to you doesn't mean it didn't work.

A mature buck will often circle and slip in with the wind in his favor. Sometimes even acting like he didn't even hear you.

Its tough to call in a mature buck without getting busted.

If it doesn't work its generally not because of the doe population but because hunters have already conditioned him to a grunt call.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:47 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
nIGHT CRAWLER PUT YOUR SELF ON A HOOK AND LETS GO WALLEYE FISHING.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:44 AM
Spike

I Use to think the grunt call should be used only when the Pre-rut or Rut starts big mistake. deer are vocal all year round. I don't mean start grunting as if you were spring turkey hunting with a box call, but a soft grunt now and then won't hurt. If I see a buck I am interested in I will see were he is going to. If he is heading in my direction I don't grunt to him. If he turns and goes in another direction I will grunt to him. I always have my grunt call on my shoulder with a strap on it so all I have to do is turn my head and grunt into it. You will never know if a grunt call would of worked with a buck walking away from you with it sitting on a shelf waiting for the rut to begin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.