Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7mm Rem Mag ammo

Old 10-14-2014, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default 7mm Rem Mag ammo

Hello All,
I received some bad news a few weeks ago. Apparently the 140 grain trophy bonded tip Federal Premium is no longer being offered. I have been shooting the 140 gr TBT for a few years with excellent results.
Anyhow, I have bought a box of Barnes TTSX 140 gr and Federal Premium 140gr Trophy Copper. Anyone have any input on the choices I have made?
Thanks
Old 10-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Read my thread on win. Ballistic tips
Old 10-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

why do you people feel you need a bonded bullet for deer? just stay off the shoulder for the first hundred yards in standard calibers, 200 for magnums and the cup/core bullets work fine. can't begin to address the number of deer I killed with a 223 and a 270 loaded with hornady 110 gr. hollowpoints. deer aren't hard to kill put a bullet in the vitals and they die within seconds.
RR
Old 10-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Sometimes one in the boiler room won't hit bone and that deer may run a good bit or not far at all. Sometimes a soft point in the muscle reaching the lungs at 70 yards will only produce a small exit , if that deer runs a good bit without a blood trail, that deer maybe lost.

I want something to devastate and leave blood for some kind of insurance in either situation from 50 to 200 yards.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by White Oak 06
Read my thread on win. Ballistic tips
Ditto for me as well. The Trophy Copper is Feds copy of a Barnes. Rem bought Barnes in 2010 I think it was, so most ammo makers have resorted to copying the Barnes. (Nosler has the E-tip) If you liked the Trophy Tip you'll LOVE the monolithic solids. FULL penetration regardless of deer size or shot angle! Blood trails that Ray Charles & Stevie Wonder both could follow. I've been a Barnes disciple for nearly 2 decades now, you'll likem!