HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Who has put sand in a rifle stock for recoil? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/394899-who-has-put-sand-rifle-stock-recoil.html)

White Oak 06 10-14-2014 02:02 PM

Who has put sand in a rifle stock for recoil?

I read about this and it seems like a good idea for my boy since he's on the light side and his body weight has his poi high on target.
Thank you for any thoughts or ideas !

BarnesX.308 10-14-2014 04:37 PM

What caliber is he shooting?

JW 10-14-2014 04:40 PM

Try lead bird shot
JW

White Oak 06 10-14-2014 05:19 PM

A 708 Weatherby s2 youth with a 20 in barrel. I want to hunt with the ttsx 120 gr.
He's not afraid to shoot it, there's just not enough weight behind the recoil.

Bought it at the Sportsmans warehouse and the guy said it recoils like the 243.
He shot a doe last year with a borrowed 243 and he put that pill tucked in tight behind her shoulder . She didn't go any where. Happy dad !!!!

This 708 can grow with him. Thanks !

White Oak 06 10-14-2014 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by JW (Post 4164167)
Try lead bird shot
JW

That's a good idea , I could put some in a sock to dampen the noise. Thanks !!

alleyyooper 10-15-2014 02:47 AM

My recoil sensitive wife bought a shooting vest with the pockets in it for gel pads. She uses a 1/2 inch pad on her CD 12ga. OU that I put a kick ese pad on with no problems.
The vest comes in different camo patterns as well as blaze orange for less than $20.00 and the pads were $10.00 each

:D Al

UncleNorby 10-15-2014 03:20 AM

If I understand, you must have a synthetic stock with some voids that are accessible, and you're wanting to load them with something like sand or lead shot to add weight to the gun. Well, that will certainly reduce the recoil that is felt by the shooter.

There may be easier ways to do this, such as installing a better recoil pad.

One thing that strikes me though, is that you're attributing your son's shooting high to his lack of weight. This makes no sense to me. If this is really the only issue, and he shoots good groups otherwise, the gun needs to be sighted in for him and the way he holds it, etc.

buffybr 10-15-2014 05:07 AM

Adding weight to a stock will definitely reduce felt recoil. Lead is denser than sand, so you wouldn't need as much lead as sand to achieve the desired weight. Plus lead would be cleaner than sand. I don't think you would want to add more than about 1/2 pound of weight.

Plastic stocks may have voids in them that you could put the weight in, otherwise you would have to drill a hole. Usually the weight is added to the stock under the recoil pad.

Lead shot works well because it easily flows into any size hole. Once in the hole you can add some white wood glue to the lead to make it quiet, and it's not too difficult to remove if you later wanted to. Thick lead wire, like fishing weight, also works.

Like previously posted, better recoil pads, like a Limbsaver, will help reduce felt recoil.

There are also recoil reducers that can be installed inside your stock that will reduce recoil. These are either mechanical or mercury filled units, but maybe an equal amount of lead would work just as well.

I have used all of these (except sand) in various rifles and shotguns, and they have all worked.

White Oak 06 10-15-2014 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by alleyyooper (Post 4164215)
My recoil sensitive wife bought a shooting vest with the pockets in it for gel pads. She uses a 1/2 inch pad on her CD 12ga. OU that I put a kick ese pad on with no problems.
The vest comes in different camo patterns as well as blaze orange for less than $20.00 and the pads were $10.00 each

:D Al

I will look into that, thank you !

White Oak 06 10-15-2014 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by UncleNorby (Post 4164221)
If I understand, you must have a synthetic stock with some voids that are accessible, and you're wanting to load them with something like sand or lead shot to add weight to the gun. Well, that will certainly reduce the recoil that is felt by the shooter.

There may be easier ways to do this, such as installing a better recoil pad.

One thing that strikes me though, is that you're attributing your son's shooting high to his lack of weight. This makes no sense to me. If this is really the only issue, and he shoots good groups otherwise, the gun needs to be sighted in for him and the way he holds it, etc.

You have a good point. Some don't agree with led sleds, but from personal experience I can have bullet holes touching and it be spot on in the field.
(I let my barrels cool for each and every shot) I can do the same with the sled with him on the scope and trigger, but once he shoulders it with it resting the fore end , I don't think there's enough weight behind the recoil. I use a 19 lb. weight for my 3006. Recoil for the 06 is somewhere around this # maybe I should use a 12 or 15 lb weight. Thanks.