Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Who has put sand in a rifle stock for recoil? >

Who has put sand in a rifle stock for recoil?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who has put sand in a rifle stock for recoil?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
By adding weight to butt of the stock(that's where I'm assuming you guys are talk about adding it) Wont it through off the balance of the rifle ?..., especially with a 20" barrel.
Not usually significantly so.

In general, when guys (guys that know what they're doing at least) weight a rifle for recoil, they add weight to the buttstock as well as the forend, such that they don't alter the balance point of the rifle.

Also, the best method is to add the lead by fixing it in place with epoxy (or wood glue). If you want to have it be removable for future use, for whatever reason, you can make a mold (spray with release agent, of course) that matches the dimensions of your desired installation cavity, and then run a screw through the "weight" to secure it in the stock.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 10-15-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's what I was thinking, add it to the butt & also to the forearm. I'm not familiar w/ the Weatherby youth VG, it may already be muzzle heavy and if that's the case adding to butt isn't going to hurt a thing.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jerry d
That's what I was thinking, add it to the butt & also to the forearm. I'm not familiar w/ the Weatherby youth VG, it may already be muzzle heavy and if that's the case adding to butt isn't going to hurt a thing.
Yeah, it's about 7.5 lbs loaded.
I'm going to experiment with everyone's suggestions soon and we will be getting his rifle dialed in. Thank you everyone !!!!!