Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which Buck would you kill.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:56 AM
  #31  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by bristowboy_20
As far as I'm concerned, being a trophy hunter doesn't hurt anything. It gives younger bucks a chance to grow a little older. In my area there is a much greater number of does than there are bucks. If I want deer meat I'm getting myself a doe. It's easy meat. For me there is no need to shoot a small buck. My idea of a trophy is 125"+. I don't have many opportunities to chase 170 class deer because they are hard to find. If I waited for something that big I would never bag a buck.
What is the tag/season situation that prevents doing both?

For example I shot a doe first weekend of bow season and I will shoot at least one more after the rut but for the next month I'll be "trophy hunting"

170 is probably a little lofty but it seems like you would have plenty of time to wait for a mature buck and still tag out.....of course assuming that is what you want.

Last edited by rockport; 10-14-2014 at 12:06 PM.
rockport is offline  
Old 10-14-2014, 12:08 PM
  #32  
Spike
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 89
Default

If all three were broadside at 20 yards, I'd shoot (right after I crapped my pants) the hole in the horn, just because the mass would point me to his direction first.
I'm an equally opportunity hunter. I can see where rockport is coming from, I'm the same way, i'll try to shoot a doe or two early just to make sure my freezer is full. If a nice buck happens by, i'll take him. Then when late October/Nov hits I shift my goals for at least a 3.5 year old deer. (if I don't shoot them a 3.5 someone pry will around me).

Muley, you don't really leave the rack do ya?
illiniquack15 is offline  
Old 10-14-2014, 12:17 PM
  #33  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by illiniquack15
If all three were broadside at 20 yards, I'd shoot (right after I crapped my pants) the hole in the horn, just because the mass would point me to his direction first.
I'm an equally opportunity hunter. I can see where rockport is coming from, I'm the same way, i'll try to shoot a doe or two early just to make sure my freezer is full. If a nice buck happens by, i'll take him. Then when late October/Nov hits I shift my goals for at least a 3.5 year old deer. (if I don't shoot them a 3.5 someone pry will around me).

Muley, you don't really leave the rack do ya?
I TRY not to worry about what the people around me are going to do. Its out of my control. Unless I can use it in my favor....then I do.
rockport is offline  
Old 10-14-2014, 12:22 PM
  #34  
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,557
Default

Originally Posted by rockport
No I really don't know the difference. It seems like most of us that are trophy hunters are pursuing mature deer for the challenge. If I just shot whatever walked out I'd only be hunting about 5 days a year.

So thats the difference? Leaving the antlers at the kill?
A trophy hunter just hunts for the rack. Whether they eat the meat, or not. They wouldn't consider shooting any buck that didn't have a good rack. Some will hire outfitters to make sure they get a trophy. They also spend a lot of money at a taxidermist. Their hunting life is consumed by antlers. it's all they talk about, and can tell you what a rack measures from 100yds away. For them the hunt means nothing. It's the kill that's important. If they don't kill a trophy the hunt is a failure.


That's quite a bit different from the hunter who hunts for meat, but also enjoys the challenge of getting a mature (not old) buck for the challenge, but could care less about the antlers. He enjoys the hunt more than the kill. He rarely talks about the hunt, and never shows pictures. He enjoys the hunt for himself. This describes how my dad was, and he passed it on to me. So, it also describes me.
Muley Hunter is offline  
Old 10-14-2014, 12:28 PM
  #35  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A trophy hunter just hunts for the rack. Whether they eat the meat, or not. They wouldn't consider shooting any buck that didn't have a good rack. Some will hire outfitters to make sure they get a trophy. They also spend a lot of money at a taxidermist. Their hunting life is consumed by antlers. it's all they talk about, and can tell you what a rack measures from 100yds away. For them the hunt means nothing. It's the kill that's important. If they don't kill a trophy the hunt is a failure.


That's quite a bit different from the hunter who hunts for meat, but also enjoys the challenge of getting a mature (not old) buck for the challenge, but could care less about the antlers. He enjoys the hunt more than the kill. He rarely talks about the hunt, and never shows pictures. He enjoys the hunt for himself. This describes how my dad was, and he passed it on to me. So, it also describes me.
That is very specific. Sounds more like its either your way or the wrong way IMO

It sure seems to me your just throwing a bunch of nonsense that really isn't hunting at all under the words trophy hunter.

I don't know much about the critters your hunting but here where I'm at hunting a big rack buck is like adding another species of animal to your hunting list. Its really like its not the same animal at all. I eat the meat, I enjoy the challenge, I love the hunt, I would never even consider hiring an outfitter,I like to talk about the hunt, I show pictures, I enjoy the hunt for myself,and yes I also love big antlers.

Your post is ridiculous as is suggesting choosing to hunt an animal that requires more effort,skill, and time to harvest happens because I hunter enjoys the kill and not the hunt.

Last edited by rockport; 10-14-2014 at 12:54 PM.
rockport is offline  
Old 10-14-2014, 01:00 PM
  #36  
Giant Nontypical
 
JagMagMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Port Neches, Texas
Posts: 5,514
Default

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You really don't know?

Maybe this will help you...........I leave the antlers at the kill. No dead heads on my walls.
There is no reason that a hunter cannot be both a meat hunter and a trophy hunter too!
A "trophy" to me is a good deer for the area that I hunt. I shoot does and eat all of the meat I get too.
Seriously MH, why would you leave the antlers in the woods? In fact, in Texas you must keep the head intact until you reach your final destination! That would make what your saying illegal.
JagMagMan is offline  
Old 10-14-2014, 01:13 PM
  #37  
Nontypical Buck
 
rockport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,359
Default

In the real world trophy hunting means spending hours upon hours upon hours in the field,in all different conditions from blistering cold to swarming mosquitoes,and watching deer walk by without killing them all in pursuit of a much harder to hunt animal.

To even suggest "For them the hunt means nothing. It's the kill that's important" makes no logical sense what so ever.
rockport is offline  
Old 10-14-2014, 01:37 PM
  #38  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 749
Default

To leave the antlers in the woods to me is disrespecting the animal. Sharing the hunt and photos is what hunting is about the respect of the animal you hunt to keep its memories a live.
Bbj270 is offline  
Old 10-14-2014, 02:01 PM
  #39  
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,557
Default

Originally Posted by rockport
That is very specific. Sounds more like its either your way or the wrong way IMO

It sure seems to me your just throwing a bunch of nonsense that really isn't hunting at all under the words trophy hunter.

I don't know much about the critters your hunting but here where I'm at hunting a big rack buck is like adding another species of animal to your hunting list. Its really like its not the same animal at all. I eat the meat, I enjoy the challenge, I love the hunt, I would never even consider hiring an outfitter,I like to talk about the hunt, I show pictures, I enjoy the hunt for myself,and yes I also love big antlers.

Your post is ridiculous as is suggesting choosing to hunt an animal that requires more effort,skill, and time to harvest happens because I hunter enjoys the kill and not the hunt.

Good god man!!! Why does everybody take it this way. Where the hell did I mention to do it my way? I'm simply telling you how I do it, because you asked.

Don't ask if you don't want an answer! I don't care how anybody hunts. I do care how I hunt, and it's only important to me.

Please..Please.. Please DON"T DO IT MY MY!!!!!!!

Understand now?
Muley Hunter is offline  
Old 10-14-2014, 02:06 PM
  #40  
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,557
Default

Originally Posted by Bbj270
To leave the antlers in the woods to me is disrespecting the animal. Sharing the hunt and photos is what hunting is about the respect of the animal you hunt to keep its memories a live.
It's just a body part. I leave the guts too. Is that disrespectful too?

Antlers won't go to waste. Somebody will find them. You are aware that deer and elk leave their antlers on the ground every year. What's the difference if I do it.

The meat is all that's important to me. I make sure I have it all, and don't waste my time hauling out something I can't eat. You ever carried out elk antlers 4-5 miles at 11,000ft up and down the mountains? My energy is better spent getting the meat out.
Muley Hunter is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.