Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Milo Hanson Buck - would you pass? >

Milo Hanson Buck - would you pass?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Milo Hanson Buck - would you pass?

Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Passing up that buck makes me think the thrill is gone, or was never there. When I was growing up, seeing any kind of buck got us so excited we couldn't even think straight. Passing up huge 10-pointers because they didn't look old enough never crossed our minds. Looking over bucks and selecting the perfect one doesn't sound like hunting to me. At least not the way we grew up, chasing deer in the big woods.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer don't tend to get that old the part of the US I live in. Except on the rare occasion of a wary buck, they usually get taken or hit by a car before then.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't pass on any of 'em.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Passing up that buck makes me think the thrill is gone, or was never there. When I was growing up, seeing any kind of buck got us so excited we couldn't even think straight. Passing up huge 10-pointers because they didn't look old enough never crossed our minds. Looking over bucks and selecting the perfect one doesn't sound like hunting to me. At least not the way we grew up, chasing deer in the big woods.
Trust me I got amped up when I saw him everytime. However having bigger bucks than him in the area and seeing them when I was on stand made it even more difficult to not pass him... When there has been 5 160+ Bucks killed in the 2 square miles the last 4 years it's easy to say no. However I enjoy just being in the stand and watching the timber come to life in the mornings..
Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, how many bucks have you got and how big?
Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

3 years of bowhunting 1 and he scored 156.5... Now ask how many bucks I have passed. Last year alone I passed in over 60 oppurtunities.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Spike

Default Wow

I don't pass the opportunity to shoot often, if at all. At least at what I consider a shoot able deer. If given the circumstances, yes I would be able to pick what I shoot with more detail. I have only once in my life seen a 150" deer live on the hoof. Maybe that will never happen again? Anyhow, I think it is almost depressing that people give this much thought into hunting. It almost takes the fun and excitement, hell it does take the fun and excitement out of hunting. I'm not advocating shooting everything that walks, but if your in a situation to pass on what 99% of white tail hunters would call a trophy then your either very lucky or very stupid.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Spike

I Would have to say it all depends on where you hunt, what state, public or private land. deer hunting now a days is not a one size fits all. take PA where I hunt they started the 2 weeks of buck or doe with antler restrictions. ruined Pa deer hunting. A/R last for about 3 to 4 yrs. then the targeted bucks get shot and the smaller bucks breed the does and you are back to square one. add too many doe shot for 2 weeks straight and the deer herd goes in the toilet. come to Pa iayotehunter and hunt on public land such as State Game Lands and I know you will not pass on a 150's deer. Maybe your 1st year but after that you will find out even getting a legal buck is few and far between. so it is all based on not the hunter but the place where he is able to hunt.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
iayote that's a DANDY buck there & certainly FAR beyond what the vast majority of bow hunters in the country will ever get a crack at. But even still, that's a LONG way from 220" Kong! (Im not assuming thats the 220 you spoke of? id guess that a 150-160 class 3yr old?) Only you can say what's a trophy to you & if you saw him 3x last year then he'll likely still be around this year & even that much better. As for your passing on a 220"er,I WILL congratulate you on passing the shot because you weren't comfortable with it. Many would've "flung & prayed" without regards to the animals life or concern for a clean kill, so congrats on that.

But don't EVER think that ANY buck over 170-180 is an "also ran", ESPECIALLY with a bow! I don't care WHERE you are, when you start questioning animals that large, especially as a bow hunter, then something's wrong or that persons realistic expectations are out of kilter. (Thus my comments about the "industry" today & their negative effect on today's hunters)
People who are saying passing a buck is whats wrong with the hunting today has no clue what there talking about. Hows that the case? let the deer live a few more years to mature is bad? Obviously jealousy is what that is,to wait let him get bigger have a deer mount, history, and meat in freezer next year is what it is, nothing more. Iv passed a lot of 150 inch deer some 160 inch deer, had the chance at them again, very few times but it doesnt matter to me cause hes still out thear growing and alive, explain how thats bad for hunting. No i wouldnt pass that deer.

Last edited by iowa whitetail; 10-17-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive passed on a few 150 class deer but that is usually about where I start shooting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.