Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
this is why I hate hunting in warm weather >

this is why I hate hunting in warm weather

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

this is why I hate hunting in warm weather

Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rockport, take the bottom of your outline and go towards the 3 o'clock position to see the rest.(Just above the stick in the weed)
Old 09-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good call

Old 09-17-2015, 03:04 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

No poisonous snakes but I think there are 2 garter snakes and another 2 tiny fire snakes on my 30 acres. Have not seen one, however for over 5 years. Apparently, snakes don't care for winter 6 months out of the year!

So what do you do if you are bit by one of these rattlers when out in the woods? How much time do you have?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MZS
No poisonous snakes but I think there are 2 garter snakes and another 2 tiny fire snakes on my 30 acres. Have not seen one, however for over 5 years. Apparently, snakes don't care for winter 6 months out of the year!

So what do you do if you are bit by one of these rattlers when out in the woods? How much time do you have?
#1 don't freak out and panic.
#2 grab your belt and make a tourniquet approximately 2-3 inches above the bite. If you have a bite kit, use the sterile blade to make a small incision just above the bite and then use the suction cups to draw out as much of the venom as you can.
#3 walk, don't run to your vehicle and find the nearest phone, house, medical facility.
#4 do your best to describe the snake to the doctor I.E. color patterns, shape, everything you can remember. Antivenoms are dependent upon which snake your are being treated for.
#5 Get ready for some serious pain because a Rattler or copperhead either one cause some serious damage that is excruciating to put it mildly.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

This is one reason I always carry my pistol with me in the woods. Helps avoid getting bite or helps ID snake after. Same with other wildlife that presents a problem.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Use to hunt some land that was infested with rattlers! Had a buddy kill one that had 9 buttons on it's rattler. I always wore snake boots while scouting, hunting, etc. but man it was sketchy walking through the woods pitch black out!
Old 09-19-2015, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

All this talk about snakes makes me wonder why I am looking forward to hunting in Florida. The first week I purchased my house this was on the front step. Can anyone identify?

this is why I hate hunting in warm weather-snake-door-step.jpg

Expanded Archery has started in Maine, it has been extremely hot. Mid to upper 80's every day, it gets hard to hunt when your covered with sweat by the time you are in the stand... At least there are no snakes, only ticks...

When I select the pic it shows larger, sorry first pic post....

Last edited by MaineRida; 09-19-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 09-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MaineRida
All this talk about snakes makes me wonder why I am looking forward to hunting in Florida. The first week I purchased my house this was on the front step. Can anyone identify?

Attachment 31470

Expanded Archery has started in Maine, it has been extremely hot. Mid to upper 80's every day, it gets hard to hunt when your covered with sweat by the time you are in the stand... At least there are no snakes, only ticks...
Looks like a rat snake. Juvenile yellow rat to be exact. Not 100% sure because I can't see it all that well. (Old eyes, small pic, not close enough)
Old 09-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup early warm season means watch your steps, ran into a black racer earlier just on the other side of the first rub I found.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Yup early warm season means watch your steps, ran into a black racer earlier just on the other side of the first rub I found.
Its the fall that gets sketchy around here. They start looking for warmth. We get plenty of surprises going down in the basement to turn on the well pump at our hunting shack.

There is a ledge on the foundation where they like to lay and its face level going down the stairs.

Usually just rat snakes but an occasional copperhead.

The other guy keep killing the rat snakes and I keep telling them more rat snakes = less copperheads.

Last edited by rockport; 09-19-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.