HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   GPS Recommendation (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/394800-gps-recommendation.html)

stymie222 10-10-2014 03:41 AM

GPS Recommendation

I just moved and will soon be hunting white tail in northern Alabama, in a large unfamiliar area that is heavily wooded, with mountains and deep ravines.
Although I have been scouting all summer, I know I can get turned around and lost in a heartbeat.
What reliable, affordable hand held GPS can you people recommend for a simple in and out walk, without breaking the bank ?

RWK 10-10-2014 10:34 AM

Plus easy to USE!

stymie222 10-10-2014 11:54 AM

Good bye

I can see this is not the place to ask a question.

Sheridan 10-10-2014 08:07 PM

Garmin is always a good bet ........................

Joot 10-14-2014 09:07 AM

Garmin Etrex 2

ohboy321 10-15-2014 04:07 PM

I have a Garmin 72H Waterproof Handheld GPS. It doesn't have any maps, which I don't need anyway. I find it very easy to use.

In the last couple of months I used it to explore 300 acres of wooded area, and it works great for me.

I use it along with Google Earth to mark locations for rubs, scrapes, places I jumped deer, etc.

Mojotex 10-15-2014 06:15 PM

A top end Garmin.

I have a 5 year old version of such a Garmin unit and it is a great tool, however don't forget a GPS unit can fail to triangulate in heavy cover, and batteries can go dead, or the unit just "die" .... also carry a quality, accurate map and compass. I like to use a topo and a "Google Earth" view of where I hunt. The combination works great for getting around. Laminate them and you'll have a durable map that will last for years.

jcrobra 10-16-2014 08:30 AM

If you have a smartphone, just download an app.

Trimble GPS Hunt & Fish
www.gpshuntfish.com
There is a free and paid-for version.
Pros:
  • Able to track your paths
  • Able to mark waypoints, take pictures of waypoints, and have meaningful icons on the waypoints
  • Show Sunrise/ Sunset times
  • Able to view your waypoints and paths online
  • Able to create multiple 'hunts'

Cons:
  • Doesn't show landowner boundaries / info, but available for $99
  • Doesn't show public lands, but available for $99

Onx Maps
I mainly use this to find new areas to hunt and identify landowners.
www.onxmaps.com

Pro: The paid-for version will show you all the landowner info and public lands. I believe this is $34 / year.

Cons: The app doesn't have any track capability and the waypoint functionality is pretty rudimentary.

30-06 deerslayer 10-16-2014 08:41 AM

I would say a Garmin Etrex also. I have had mine for years now and mark my stands, rubs, scrapes, and so on with it. gets me back to my truck with in 15 feet. not fancy but all I need to do what I want to with it.