Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams >

Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams

Old 10-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iowa whitetail
Its not an assumption it was another use of technology example that would be silly to say makes people loose there hunting skills if they use them. bow and muzzleloader, and i use trail cams. Ive killed just as many deer before i used them than after i started. They are simply fun. To say they replace skill well you simply haven't a clue what your talking about.
You can't replace a skill you don't have. The cameras make it easier than without them. You need to do some research if you don't believe it.

I think of John Wayne when you post.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You can't replace a skill you don't have. The cameras make it easier than without them. You need to do some research if you don't believe it.

I think of John Wayne when you post.
Like I said I don't need cams to kill bucks I can keep up with the best of them. A cam has never got me close to a deer has never helped or hurt my skills. I have as good of a collection as any and my biggest deer not on cam. That's my research.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Natural Hunting Skills !

I thought that was a question - LOL ?!?!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't necessarily consider scouting and the use of trail cams separate methods. Trail cams are just a scouting tool. Also, claiming that trail cams can replace natural hunting skill is ignorant. I guess I'm not able to speak for anyone other than myself but when I go to set out trail cameras, if it's a new area I'll scout it out prior to deciding where I should put the cameras. You can't just throw up cameras anywhere in the woods and expect to consistently get pictures. I take note of where likely bedding areas are, which direction the wind is most likely to blow, how thermals are going to affect that area, the list goes on and on. If I'm going through the woods and I notice a large track, that might be something I want to check out. Cameras can also be a double edged sword of sorts. I've had it happen on a few occasions where there are a few trails within bow range and I pick one to put a camera on and don't get much for pictures, but you point that camera in a different direction and you'll get tons. Cameras don't tell the whole story of what's going on in an area. They just let you know what walked in front of the camera within 50 feet. While sitting in the stand I've seen lots of deer that never make it in front of the camera. That's probably more common than them coming in front of it unless you have bait there. I use cameras just because I like seeing deer. Same reason I spend my free time before deer season driving around looking at fields before dark. I just like to look at em'. I put cameras places I don't hunt for the same reasons. They don't make it any easier or any less "skillful" Just because you know a deer is there doesn't make it easier to kill. Hell, come October I can take a look around the woods, and get an idea if there's a good deer in the area by looking at the size of trees that have been rubbed, or take a look at the size of tracks in and around scrapes to see how big a deer might be. To put the whole "cameras make it easier" thing in perspective, I've regularly been seeing two mature 10 points in a field adjoining land I hunt but have I gotten either on camera yet? Nope. Why? Well, deer don't follow a script and aren't guaranteed to be anywhere at anytime. Learning hunting skills is invaluable, without it trail cams aren't going to help you.

I always have enjoyed a good debate. Especially about hunting.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wisco94
I wouldn't necessarily consider scouting and the use of trail cams separate methods. Trail cams are just a scouting tool. Also, claiming that trail cams can replace natural hunting skill is ignorant. I guess I'm not able to speak for anyone other than myself but when I go to set out trail cameras, if it's a new area I'll scout it out prior to deciding where I should put the cameras. You can't just throw up cameras anywhere in the woods and expect to consistently get pictures. I take note of where likely bedding areas are, which direction the wind is most likely to blow, how thermals are going to affect that area, the list goes on and on. If I'm going through the woods and I notice a large track, that might be something I want to check out. Cameras can also be a double edged sword of sorts. I've had it happen on a few occasions where there are a few trails within bow range and I pick one to put a camera on and don't get much for pictures, but you point that camera in a different direction and you'll get tons. Cameras don't tell the whole story of what's going on in an area. They just let you know what walked in front of the camera within 50 feet. While sitting in the stand I've seen lots of deer that never make it in front of the camera. That's probably more common than them coming in front of it unless you have bait there. I use cameras just because I like seeing deer. Same reason I spend my free time before deer season driving around looking at fields before dark. I just like to look at em'. I put cameras places I don't hunt for the same reasons. They don't make it any easier or any less "skillful" Just because you know a deer is there doesn't make it easier to kill. Hell, come October I can take a look around the woods, and get an idea if there's a good deer in the area by looking at the size of trees that have been rubbed, or take a look at the size of tracks in and around scrapes to see how big a deer might be. To put the whole "cameras make it easier" thing in perspective, I've regularly been seeing two mature 10 points in a field adjoining land I hunt but have I gotten either on camera yet? Nope. Why? Well, deer don't follow a script and aren't guaranteed to be anywhere at anytime. Learning hunting skills is invaluable, without it trail cams aren't going to help you.

I always have enjoyed a good debate. Especially about hunting.
X2 that's how it is.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only buck we ever shot that we had on cams was nowhere near where the cam was. It was purely coincidence. During the rut, I'll put cameras in a couple fields that deer only hit at night. It is only so I can get pictures. I have no idea where these bucks come from. Some may just be wanderers, looking for doe.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, one last question. I'll admit i've never used a stand, and i've never used cameras.

If you were looking for places to put up stands. Wouldn't putting up cameras for those spots be helpful before the hunt starts?

I understand a camera won't kill a deer for you, but isn't it added information you can use for your hunt?

Also, if you're a trophy hunter. Wouldn't it help you see what trophy bucks are in the area? Unlike mule deer. Whitetails don't have a big area they live in. Seeing one on camera would tell you what's in the area.

Putting a camera on a game trail would tell you how much traffic an area is getting.

None of this info is helpful to a hunter? It sure would be for me.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

From some of the comments it looks to me like the ones that use trail cams spend just as much time hunting for a place to put their cams as hunting for deer. Nothing wrong with being a wildlife photographer. Nature is AWESOME no matter how you enjoy it. I have learned a lot from this thread everyone who commented is right. If it's your thing enjoy it. Thanks for all the replies
Old 10-09-2014, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
From some of the comments it looks to me like the ones that use trail cams spend just as much time hunting for a place to put their cams as hunting for deer. Nothing wrong with being a wildlife photographer. Nature is AWESOME no matter how you enjoy it. I have learned a lot from this thread everyone who commented is right. If it's your thing enjoy it. Thanks for all the replies
Probably more time in some cases. I do pretty much the opposite. Hunting is how I gather my information but I get it. I bet its a lot of fun running cameras and I bet its pretty easy to make running cameras a hobby of its own.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Probably more time in some cases. I do pretty much the opposite. Hunting is how I gather my information but I get it. I bet its a lot of fun running cameras and I bet its pretty easy to make running cameras a hobby of its own.
Hunting is how I gather my info as well!! I'm sure your right about it being a lot of fun running cameras not to mention seeing all the cool pics. Would not be a bad hobby to have. Hope you have a successful hunting season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.