Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams >

Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams

Old 10-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You don't get sarcasm either. Do you really think my scouting doesn't help, and I just do it to look at trees?
Perhaps you should write in "sarcastic" font. Quite honestly I don't know how you scout, so when you say it doesn't help, while odd, I realize that scouting doesn't guarantee a filled tag, nor does a camera.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by handles II
Perhaps you should write in "sarcastic" font. Quite honestly I don't know how you scout, so when you say it doesn't help, while odd, I realize that scouting doesn't guarantee a filled tag, nor does a camera.
Nothing guarantees an animal short of a fenced hunt. Scouting and cameras do help though. I wouldn't do something if it didn't help. Would you?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Spike

Is that important?
i figured you hadn't based on your opinion. I think using binoculars and spotting scopes are cheating you should get close enough to see them naturally with your own eye.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, this one is going into the toilet! There are devices I will not use to hunt that are legal in some states and not in others. However if the use is legal then the individual using it is hunting legally and the fact that some of us would not use the device or method is not just cause for criticism. If there is a letgitimate reason the device or method should not be used, contact your Game agencegislature to get rid of the legal use of it. I knew when I read the OP the thread would go into the crapper, this kind of thread always does.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iowa whitetail
i figured you hadn't based on your opinion. I think using binoculars and spotting scopes are cheating you should get close enough to see them naturally with your own eye.
Wrong assumption bud. I use no optics at all. I'm a still hunter, and only hunt in the dark timber for mule deer, elk, and black bear. Never had a shot over 75 yds with 90% of them in bow range. I use a sidelock muzzleloader.

I was born and brought up in Mass. I hunted for plenty of whitetails with a shotgun in the 50's. Pretty much bow range again.

How do you hunt?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Well, this one is going into the toilet! There are devices I will not use to hunt that are legal in some states and not in others. However if the use is legal then the individual using it is hunting legally and the fact that some of us would not use the device or method is not just cause for criticism. If there is a letgitimate reason the device or method should not be used, contact your Game agencegislature to get rid of the legal use of it. I knew when I read the OP the thread would go into the crapper, this kind of thread always does.
Of course it does. I mentioned it earlier. I don't see anybody saying to not use a method though. We're just giving our opinions.

Some are more sensitive than others, but that's how it is always.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Spike

Wrong assumption bud. I use no optics at all. I'm a still hunter, and only hunt in the dark timber for mule deer, elk, and black bear. Never had a shot over 75 yds with 90% of them in bow range. I use a sidelock muzzleloader.

I was born and brought up in Mass. I hunted for plenty of whitetails with a shotgun in the 50's. Pretty much bow range again.

How do you hunt?
Its not an assumption it was another use of technology example that would be silly to say makes people loose there hunting skills if they use them. bow and muzzleloader, and i use trail cams. Ive killed just as many deer before i used them than after i started. They are simply fun. To say they replace skill well you simply haven't a clue what your talking about.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I scout 200 days a year,
That works out to 3.85 days a week. What do you do for a living that you are in the woods 3-4 days a week? A guide? Most of the people don't have that kind of time.

I think that has a lot to do with the decline in woodsmanship. Back in the day, more people lived rurally and probably spent a lot of time in their home hunting woods. Guys would go off to deer camp for a month. Now, guys might take off two days for the rifle opener and get a couple Saturdays in as well.

I'd love to be in the woods more. But life does not allow.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
That works out to 3.85 days a week. What do you do for a living that you are in the woods 3-4 days a week? A guide? Most of the people don't have that kind of time.

I think that has a lot to do with the decline in woodsmanship. Back in the day, more people lived rurally and probably spent a lot of time in their home hunting woods. Guys would go off to deer camp for a month. Now, guys might take off two days for the rifle opener and get a couple Saturdays in as well.

I'd love to be in the woods more. But life does not allow.
I'm retired.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why in the heck are we "HUNTERS" arguing about who hunts the best, or the purest way. Whether we like it or not technology is here to stay. Some choose to use it some choose not. We all buy a deer tag and hunt within our states hunting regs. Does that make us better or worse hunters. No that makes us legal hunters. We as hunters loose ground everyday, and us putting each other down or questioning each on the way we hunt brings us down more. Hunt the way u want with what legall tools you have. Lets start backing each other because one day we may wake up and it may not be there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.