Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams >

Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams

Old 10-11-2014, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some times when out working cattle, especially in a circumstance where the activity is out of her normal routine, an old cow will find the stress of contact too much for her mind to bear and she'll lock up. Try as you might, she just won't move, she'll just spin in one spot or dig in her hooves and brace against all comers, despite best efforts to calm and comfort the old gal, and even though you most likely are working in her best interest.

The only solution, when these old heifers have this type of mental overload, is to let them be to calm down on their own, and waste the time to come back again later to fulfill whatever purpose was initially intended.
Sounds like one of those weird, Chinglish spam emails. You need to include a link to some weight loss cream.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:22 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

We hunt public land exclusively so we couldn't use trailcams if we wanted to. (They're not illegal. They would just grow legs and walk away in a day or two.)

Personally, messing around with all that technology would not be much fun for me. But I can see where some guys would enjoy it.

I don't think the guy with the trailcams, the scentblocker, etc., will get any more deer than the guy who doesn't use that stuff. I think if the guy with the trailcams, scentblocker, etc., fills his tags, it's because he knows how to hunt. (And enjoys buying lots of hunting stuff.)
Old 10-11-2014, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sachiko

I don't think the guy with the trailcams, the scentblocker, etc., will get any more deer than the guy who doesn't use that stuff. I think if the guy with the trailcams, scentblocker, etc., fills his tags, it's because he knows how to hunt. (And enjoys buying lots of hunting stuff.)
That's not the question. The question is.......does a trail cam make scouting easier?

Any kind of scouting won't kill an animal if you don't know how to hunt. The question was never will technology kill more animals, but will it help you in the process of hunting. Which of course includes scouting to check out traffic in an area you want to hunt.

Lets say you want to put a tree stand looking over a waterhole. You can look at all the sign around the waterhole. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out how many animal made those tracks. You also wouldn't know what time of the day the animals were using the waterhole. It also wouldn't tell you if there were any shooter bucks using the waterhole. You could sit on it all day for days to figure it out, or you could hang a camera to do the work for you. The camera never sleeps, and will catch everything 24/7.
In this situation. Wouldn't you consider the camera an aid, and it makes the process of scouting easier? It doesn't mean you'll kill more animals, but it did make the process of scouting easier. That's all some of us are saying.

I say animals, because this applies to deer, elk, and bear.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

I use my 45 plus years of natural hunting experience to tell me where to put my cams..I have been using cams for 10 years..

It allows me to better scout an area without funking it up with my scent..
Old 10-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

It's a tool for me to learn and teach my kids. I've only been deer hunting for two years and this will be my third (if God willing). My lifestyle is so busy and I'm fortunate that my in laws and their neighbors let me use their land to hunt and farm it for deer.