Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams >

Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Natural Hunting Skill vs Trail Cams

Old 10-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wilcam47

you are still using a tool, otherwise you would be out there hunting with your bare hands. Seems like if its something you dont use or do its not fair or cheating.
Yes, i'm back to the 1840's. I try to do it as they did. Bare hands would be another way, but I don't copy caveman.

Never said to do it my way. I just explained how I do it. Why do you assume i'm trying to tell you to do it my way. I get this all the time, and never understand it. How many times did I say everybody should hunt the way they want?

You really need to try and figure out what's being said instead of what you want to hear.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Well, this one is going into the toilet! the fact that some of us would not use the device or method is not just cause for criticism. I knew when I read the OP the thread would go into the crapper, this kind of thread always does.
Did you expect anything different! You got some guys in this thread that if you don't hunt "their" way, use a weapon or caliber that fits "their" criteria they'll argue with ya and swear you're doing it wrong.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jerry d
Did you expect anything different! You got some guys in this thread that if you don't hunt "their" way, use a weapon or caliber that fits "their" criteria they'll argue with ya and swear you're doing it wrong.
I don't see anybody in this thread like that, but you're consistent with your trolling posts.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally think it has been a pretty good little discussion.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I don't see anybody in this thread like that, but you're consistent with your trolling posts.
Not as consistent as you with your sarcasm. Apparently you thought it was directed at you.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

You know what I'm with KSWILD. My Dad taught me how to hunt with skills that he learned from spending time with old timers in the woods. He taught me how to read tracks, locate bedding areas, scrapes, trails, etc... Its kinda sad that weve become seperated from our heritage, Hunting isnt what it used to be, They might as well call it shooting. Part of the whole deal is goin into the woods, locating tracks, finding bedding areas, feeding trails, and then setting up there based on information you gathered. Its a much more fullfilling hunt in my opinion. But hey to each his own. I have no problem with anyone that uses trail cams, there just not for me.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by buckman11
You know what I'm with KSWILD. My Dad taught me how to hunt with skills that he learned from spending time with old timers in the woods. He taught me how to read tracks, locate bedding areas, scrapes, trails, etc... Its kinda sad that weve become seperated from our heritage, Hunting isnt what it used to be, They might as well call it shooting. Part of the whole deal is goin into the woods, locating tracks, finding bedding areas, feeding trails, and then setting up there based on information you gathered. Its a much more fullfilling hunt in my opinion. But hey to each his own. I have no problem with anyone that uses trail cams, there just not for me.
AWESOME POST!!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

But what does that really have to do with trail cameras?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

But you have to know all of those same things to effectively utilize trail cameras. I myself am not going to invest all that time and money into trail cameras to put them where I don't think deer will travel. A trail camera literally has no bearing on whether or not you can effectively analyze deer sign. Setting a camera is a lot like setting a stand. Everything you observed has to be taken into consideration if you want to get any results with that camera. I know guys who use no cameras who wouldn't know the first thing about reading sign. Call it shooting? Well compared to what it "used to be" deer populations are much higher and with all of the agricultural land now, they have the resources to sustain populations like that. Simply killing deer isn't that hard. Mature deer, does or bucks is another story. As far as calling it shooting? From what I hear from all the old guys I hunt with, it was a lot more "shooting" back in the day with all the deer drives that they did as opposed to now when we do none.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

I am a mechanic by trade. I have a toolbox full of spend tools that serve a general purpose. My dad always taught me there is a tool for every job.

Now, trail cams. They are a tool for a specific job...to monitor a path and photo or video whats on that path. You still need woodsmanship to place this tool in the right spot. I have seen so many night pictures from these tools. This is not the right spot unless you are firefighting.

See what I am saying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.