Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mixed emotions

Old 10-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

The more I read that post, the more I am convinced it is the work of a troll. If it isn't it sure isn't the work of anyone who could be called a hunter.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Hunters Safety course not required in NJ??? They get pretty detailed here in Kansas about knowing the law and your weapon and game identification. People get in trouble because they are ignorant of game laws. Safety is compromised because of not know their weapon and not putting in the time to practice.

This poster needs to re-evaluate his woodsmanship skills and seek out a mentor to learn the basics from and above all...Practice, practice, practice..... If you can't control your weapon enough to find a big game animal in the sights and shoot anyway wounding the animal for a 2nd time you might want to take up golf.... doesn't sound like hunting is your cup of tea.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes a hunter ed course is required in NJ before buying a license.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Agree with troll posting. This whole story stinks to high heaven. Just the fact he is carrying a shotgun while archery hunting doesn't make sense. Hitting a deer twice and it standing around also would be very unusual. Something is not right.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm quite sure it is illegal to shoot a deer with a gun in bow season. Regardless of whether you are dispatching it. I know in PA you'd be in some trouble and I'm quite sure Jersey is the same.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I'm quite sure it is illegal to shoot a deer with a gun in bow season. Regardless of whether you are dispatching it. I know in PA you'd be in some trouble and I'm quite sure Jersey is the same.
Your 100% right.How could anyone think that they could use a firearm in an Archery season.Apparently he brought the gun as a backup if not only this happened but if a trophy was out of bow range.I too smell a rat.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The more I read that post, the more I am convinced it is the work of a troll. If it isn't it sure isn't the work of anyone who could be called a hunter.
Troll alert.. It was his first post. He is probably reading the thread chuckling about it now
Old 10-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Redacted...

Considering he's from NJ, the statements are correct, a hunter could not possess a shotgun and a bow at the same time, as their seasons do not overlap, and it does not appear, after cursory review, that a bow could be carried during the rifle season.

There are SOME states that allow the use of archery equipment during firearms seasons (Kansas for example) such that a guy could carry a rifle as a 'back up' but do their hunting with a bow. I've carried both in the past - wanting to get a buck with my BOW, but not wanting to pass if it showed up out of my bow range.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 10-07-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

and it does not appear, after cursory review, that a bow could be carried during the rifle season.
That's stupid. Because you get some kind of an unfair advantage using a bow instead of a rifle? NJ is lame. What about folks who live in archery-only areas? NJ is chocked-filled with small suburban woodlots where guns are not allowed.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

He hasn't been back on the forum since the 5th.

He's either a troll, or got scared off when he read our posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.