Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Does a deer have to hang before butchering? >

Does a deer have to hang before butchering?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does a deer have to hang before butchering?

Old 10-04-2014, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Normally we have decent hanging weather during Michigan's fire arm and muzzle loader season. there are problem days during the Oct. bow season how ever. One year at our UP deer camp it was in the mid 70F range during the day so hanging wasn't some thing we did like normal. since we were 6.5 hours from home we took two deer to a processer there. We were very disappointed with the results, very little meat we felt for the size deer we took in and lost set of antlers. We vowed never again. We bought a used fridge at an estate sale that with the racks out will hold 3 180 200 pound deer skinned. We made a rack to hang them from and can keep it a steady 35F. after a few days hanging we will cut up the deer and package it then it gets frozen in the freezer compartment. We did decide that the next fridge we buy for this will be a side by side for more freezer space.

You can buy a used fridge at a estate sale pretty reasonable as well as a freezer.

Al
Old 10-04-2014, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pretty common for a camp to buy the box part of a reefer truck and use it as a walkin cooler.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

There's a certain amount of personal preference involved. I used to work for a butcher. and we sold primarily box beef (not aged) through the counter. We got a contract to handle sides and quarters from a local farmer, and the meat was aged for a while (over a week, can't remember exactly). Some people loved it, others complained that it wasn't like what they were used to.

Deer I hang for a day or so, but that's about it. Whatever you do, skin it immediately to allow it to cool faster. I also have a trustworthy processor with a walk in that I use if it's too hot, and he lets them hang a little longer.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Skin and quarter right away then place in refrigerator over night and cut up the next day when we come back in at noon or kill another deer to cut up and freeze. Read an article that a butcher said you don't age veal same as deer not the fat content as beef that needs to be marbled and broken down. My family as been doing this meathod for other 50 years.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:18 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Hang it if you can, otherwise quarter it up, place in large garbage bags, toss it in a chest freezer to chill and nearly freeze for a day or so, and then process.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Aging meat does not cause the fat to be marbled nor does it break down the fat. Either a piece of meat is marbled with fat or it is not. Venison is not marbled at all, the fat in venison is on the outside and is not good tasting and should be removed before cooking. I cut meat for a number of years and I know what aging does for flavor. Some really expensive cuts of beef are aged untill they actually have mold on the outside, it is cut of before cooking. Meat molds do not hurt you. There are a lot of misconceptions about what aging meat does. Pork is not aged but beef and wildlife venison improve with aging. If some people don't like that flavor it is probably because they have never eaten properly aged meat. I can't even count the number f peole who swore they hated venison, t was too gamey. Then they ate mine and changed their minds. In my experience what people call gamey is caused by poor meat handling after the kill.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-07-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot deer in the South

where it was shot, gutted, butchered, and in the home freezer the same day in 70 plus temps. A days work I might add.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It needs to be hung for me, and not in a garage with uncontroled temps. I have my butcher hang mine for 7 days halved in his walkin. The difference in flavor and texture is apparent. Hanging allows the enzymes in the meat to break it down somewhat making it more tender and flavorful. I would not kill a beef steer and have it cut up the same day and I wouldn't do it to a deer either.
A friend lets us use his cooler for deer etc but he typically wants it out in a few days just so its not running up his electric bill. But I think gutting and letting the blood drain as much as possible removes a lot of the "gamie" taste.

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Aging meat does not cause the fat to be larbled nor does it break down the fat. Either a piece of meat is marbled with fat or it is not. Venison is not marbled at all, the fat in venison is on the outside and is not good tasting and should be removed before cooking. I cut meat for a number of years and I know what aging does for flavor. Some really expensive cuts of beef are aged untill they actually have mold on the outside, it is cut of before cooking. Meat molds do not hurt you. There are a lot of misconceptions about what aging meat does. Pork is not aged but beef and wildlife venison improve with aging. If some people don't like that flavor it is probably because they have never eaten properly aged meat. I can't even count the number f peole who swore they hated venison, t was too gamey. Then they ate mine and changed their minds. In my experience what people call gamey is caused by poor meat handling after the kill.
Yup! I think so too...letting the deer drain out for a few days helps a lot! I usually gut the deer...I guess Ive been lucky since Ive never let a deer sit overnight. I wouldnt think it would be salvageable in temps above 45 degrees...
Old 10-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

someone mentioned putting the deer in trashbags, just be careful which kind you use. Some can actually spoil the meat or impart bad flavor, google it
Old 10-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Spike

shot a doe Oct. 1st evening, hung it, cut it up the next morning. Already eating it, delicious and tender as can be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.