Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Does a deer have to hang before butchering? >

Does a deer have to hang before butchering?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does a deer have to hang before butchering?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does a deer have to hang before butchering?

I was told a deer has to hang for atleast a day or two to get all the blood drained, will I hurt the meat by butchering it a couple hours after the kill?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, down here in the South the temps are in the 80s during bow season...

We clean them and get them on ice as soon as possible...We do soak them on ice for
3-4 days and drain the blood off each day..
Old 10-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ABarOfSoap
I was told a deer has to hang for atleast a day or two to get all the blood drained, will I hurt the meat by butchering it a couple hours after the kill?
Needs to be processed if the temps are above 45 degrees or below freezing. If you have a cooler that can regulate the temp they can hang to suit your taste preference. 7days or longer at optimal temps age and tenderize the meat. During the early seasons here in Kansas September through early November I will let a deer taken at sunset hang over night as long as it is not going to be a hard freeze. Process in the morning... if a deer is taken in the morning I will process right away if the temp is going to be above 45.

With deer meat that is processed within a couple hrs. of harvest it is best to let it set in a bowl over night in the fridge after you take it out of the freezer and it is thawed. I usually take it out a couple of days before I cook it.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

we usually go ahead and butcher the deer, then let it sit. I put mine in large tubs and in the fridge, let it sit for 10 to 14 days, then process it
Old 10-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

It needs to be hung for me, and not in a garage with uncontroled temps. I have my butcher hang mine for 7 days halved in his walkin. The difference in flavor and texture is apparent. Hanging allows the enzymes in the meat to break it down somewhat making it more tender and flavorful. I would not kill a beef steer and have it cut up the same day and I wouldn't do it to a deer either.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always process right away and through it in the fridge to sit until I can get to it.
Days later I'll cut it up and package. Works out fine for me . I don't want to leave it out with to warm of temperatures.
If I had a cooler to hang it in then I might hang it that way.
I have never notice a problem processing it within hours of it dieing .
Old 10-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes we don't see the south side of 45 here until mid to late December! I quarter mine and keep it iced down for 6-7 days, draining the water and adding new ice! I never ever get any complaints of a "gamey" taste.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It needs to be hung for me, and not in a garage with uncontroled temps. I have my butcher hang mine for 7 days halved in his walkin. The difference in flavor and texture is apparent. Hanging allows the enzymes in the meat to break it down somewhat making it more tender and flavorful. I would not kill a beef steer and have it cut up the same day and I wouldn't do it to a deer either.
+1

For me too.

He ain't called "Oldtimer" for nothin' - also called experienced !!!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I butcher and freeze it within a day of shooting. I take my deer and elk out of wheat and barley fields, and they are bled just fine with a poke through the boiler room. I let them sit in the fridge for a day before tossing it on the bbq or putting it in the oven. Always tender, never run, as I interrupt their morning breakfast with a well placed shot.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ideally you want the deer to go through rigamortis twice at about 35-37 degrees that will make the meat very tender and the meat will start to seperate off the bones instead of that shredding sticking effect. that takes about two to three days ask your butcher to hang in his cooler and not to butcher for at least two-three day's i think you will notice the difference !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.