Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scent control containers?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Spike

Default scent control containers?

I was at a local hunting store today and saw that they had some type of "scent control containers" especially made for hunting. Looking at them, they don't look much different than somthing you can buy at Walmart for 20 bucks, these containers are $75.

Anyone have them? Are they worth the $75 or will a cheap walmart container with leaves and pine branches do the trick? I know playing the wind is most important, but if I can help at least control the odors of my clothing when I'm not hunting, I'd like to be able to.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Rubbermaid tubs from Wal-mart. Don't waste your money....
Old 10-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Rubbermaids. Sticks and leaves don't help either. I think the thing your talking about holds activated carbon which does help but u can also put activated carbon in a rubbermaid. I just use baking soda.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Cheaper yet are the giant-sized ziplock bags. They are pretty heavy-duty, I've been using three of them for about 6 years now, no holes. Warm-weather camo in one, cold weather camo in another, and underclothing in the third. I no longer bother "ziplocking" them, just compress and roll the open end shut, hold closed with a couple big bull-clips for filing papers. Works great, waterproof, see-through and easy to pack in a vehicle.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Spike

I wouldn't waste my money on that containers are a good idea but, I have been hunting now for 42yrs and just shower with baking soda and use my home made scent killer baking soda, peroxide, unscented soap, and distilled water combined. I can't even remember how many years it has been since I bought a bottle of scent killer. can make it by the gallons cheaper then the store bought. some new ideas are fine in the hunting world and some are just made to make money from hunters who think a new item will be a sure thing to bagging a deer. sometimes you have to step back a little and go with the basics of hunting.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

LOL a big suck you in if you don't engage brain. I've been gun hunting and bow hunting for 52 years well before raised platforms were legal as well as bait.

Always kept every thing clean and hunting clothing was just that. Didn't fuel the truck or car in them didn't go to the bar or restaurant in them either.
Don't wash them in soaps that contain brighteners, it does brighten them. When I hunt the pines or cedars I take some needles crush them to rub on my clothes.

Ever notice No one has a pine or cedar camo pattern?

Al
Old 10-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Spike

I have only been bow hunting for about 3 years. I would really like a homemade scent killer. Can someone help me with that. We make our own laundry soap and if I could make scent killer and soap for hunting that would be awesome.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scent blocking "trends" are making a mountain out of a molehill... Don't waste your money, whether $20 or $75...
Old 10-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I keeps my hunting clothes in large plastic sealable bags inside plastic totes. I wash them when subject to bad body oder or mildew from getting wet. I have cats in my garage, a rabbit, and people smoke there so that is why I treat my hunting clothes like contaminated waste and keep it sealed up tight from the rest of the environment.

I spent minimal $$$ on this system. Plastic storage bags and totes are relatively cheap.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Spike

most important thing by far is controlling odors that can get on your clothes in the first place. The container doesn't have to be expensive to accomplish that. Something that is air tight is all you need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.