Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

am i a bad hunter

Old 10-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default am i a bad hunter

The is my third season hunting. My first year I got myself a button buck. Last year was a horrible year. A few deer did come by my stand never got a good shot at one. This year I am seeing more deer. I could have had a few good shots, but have had a few foul ups with my bow or a deer stoping right in front of a branch. How come many hunters seem to get a deer every season? I try and do everything right scouting, make sure I am scent free, put out lures, etc. The area I hunt has a lot of deer. So I know thats not the problem. So far this season I have had 4 does and a small 4 pointer pass within 10 yards of my stand.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:21 AM

Default RE: am i a bad hunter

Doesn' t sound like you are terrible at all - it is a rough sport. The people who connect year after year usually have been doing this for a long time. Be patient

Are you hunting out of the same stand or the same area or do you have multiple stands set up?

Maybe try to lay of the scent lures - they can be funny thing those lures, and your presentation and timing has to be perfect to fool a deers best defense.

Good Luck
Old 10-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping. Gee I have seen deer everyday in the pas t5 days and spent 40 hours in the stand and have not gotten anything yet. Just keep trying
Old 10-09-2003, 11:29 AM

Deerhunter1224,

In a word " Yes" . You are a bad hunter.

Only kidding. It is called hunting for a reason. I wouldn' t worry about getting that buck of a lifetime. I would only worry about you getting what you are looking for out of the woods. I mean make sure you are going to the woods for the right reasons. If you are only after that monster rack then I don' t think you should complain because for as many pictures as we see of a hunter with a huge rack there are a thousand times more hunters out there with nothing on the wall and nothing in the freezer. It is rare indeed to take a huge deer. However if you are looking to get the most out of the woods by taking in all the experiences and hunting for the love of hunting, then I think you are being awfully hard on your self. Just remember why you hunt and then re-evaluate your skill as a hunter.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not looking for the huge deer of a life time. yes would be nice it wont happen. heck i dont have a problem taking a doe. i do enjoy sitting there watching nature.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have bowhunted for four years, and rifled hunted for two of those, i still have not got one. i don' t consider myself a bad hunter, just a really unlucky one! i have had a few shots at deer, only hit one, but couldn' t find a drop of blood. sometimes i feel like a bad hunter, but i think of " that guy" who has hunted for years and hasnt gotten one in who knows how long
Old 10-09-2003, 11:46 AM

Agree with all the responses. It all comes down to time in the woods. It' s unpredictable - that' s what keeps us going back out again and again. If lots of shooting opportunities at big bucks is the only thing that makes us happy, then we wouldn' t be at this for very long. That is, unless you' re on your own TV show.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

All I can say is success comes with experience. I went two years before ever shooting my first with a bow. I now will always get at least one with my bow each year. It also depends on conditions, when you get to hunt, and the herd in your area. My first two years were poor because I hunted land that was not very advantagious for bow hunting. I now have land that is great for bow hunting.

I guess what Im saying is success rate doesnt depend on the quality of the hunter, but on a gambit of factors.

Keep hunting, Keep practicing, Keep learning, and most of all Keep on hunting.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

i do enjoy sitting there watching nature.
Thats what makes a good hunter. If you enjoy nature and enjoy setting and observing you have half the battle won.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:52 AM

i rather have a bad day in the woods then a good day at work
As long as you keep your quote in mind. You' ll get better.

Quick Reply: am i a bad hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.