Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow hunting tips?

Old 09-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bow hunting tips?

This is going to be my first year bow hunting, I'm hunting out of a lader stand, you guys have any tips for me?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Generally I find that the first hurdle for new bow hunters is patients the very first thing you have to do is enjoy everything about hunting and not jut the killing part.

I know its probably not as interesting/exciting as some advice you will get but hunt the wind, enjoy the whole experience and patiently learn as you go. Experience will teach you more than anything.

Oh and when(not if) you screw it up don't worry your not alone.....that is just part of it.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:36 AM
Spike

Wear a safety harness. I work in a hospital and see too many injuries from falling out of tree stands from fractures to death. Agree with Rockport enjoy the hunt.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Practice from an elevated platform. Accuracy on level ground only means something if you can transfer that into proper angled shooting. Practice drawing then moving/turning onto target as well - if a deer walks in while you're drawn and then crosses you, your body will 'preload' itself as you twist unless you use the proper shooting technique, and it'll sling your shot off target when you release.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Keep the wind in your face & never be afraid to try new things. Let the deer tell you where to hunt them. Late summer/early fall deer are quite a bit different than they are from late Oct on into winter. Early season is a time of change as well so don't get married to one spot or area, again let the deer dictate your actions!

Good luck
Old 09-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the commets, and I am going to use a harnes
Old 09-27-2014, 08:18 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Work the wind.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

White or red oaks with plenty of acorns, trail cams, safety harness, wind direction, comfortable seat cushion.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Spike

Be patient. Make sure the deer offers the perfect shot and take your time. Always wear your harness. Work the wind and watch your scent.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Fork Horn

To some the following advice may sound weird, but I really think it helps.

My suggestion to you is to rent/buy/watch a bunch of deer hunting videos. But as you watch them, think along in your mind as to when it is safe to turn, draw your bow, and when you would release your arrow. Watch how the deer acts AFTER the shot, and where that shot hit the deer. Too many beginning hunters spook deer by moving too much, or at the wrong time. Or they take poor angled shots, or begin trailing a deer too quickly, because they don't know where they hit the deer nor how it reacted after the shot.

Also, don't get frustrated if you don't get a deer this season. Bowhunting is much harder than gun hunting, but that is also what makes it more rewarding! Heck, I hunted for nearly ten years before I got my first deer with a bow, but now have tagged close to 30 deer in the last decade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.