Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is a 7mm a good gun for whitetail??plz help younge >

Is a 7mm a good gun for whitetail??plz help younge

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is a 7mm a good gun for whitetail??plz help younge

Old 01-31-2002, 07:16 PM

Default Is a 7mm a good gun for whitetail??plz help younge

Hi i was wondering if a 7mm is a good gun. I was wondering if it will be able to take deer with it. i was also wondering what kind of bullets there are for it. also how far out is the range of the rifle. Just one last thing can someone please tell me truthfully how much kick there is ( no bs involved plz). i was wondering if it kicks more then a 20 gauge. if not does it kick like a 16 gauge??
Hunt, Fish, Live
I am an OutdoorsMAN
Robert T Dutton

Old 01-31-2002, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is a 7mm a good gun for whitetail??plz help younge

The 7mm mag is a very versatile cartridge that is suitable for any game from deer up to moose, elk and bear.Recoil is about the same as a 30-06 as the rifles are usually a bit heavier due to an extra couple of inches of barrel.As far as bullets there are many loadings available with 140 gr being good for deer and premium bullets are available in many weights for the bigger animals.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Robert

A 7mm is a great whitetail rifle. There are a host of different bullets you can shoot out of a 7mm. A good quality 130 or 140 grain bullet works well for whitetails,you can go heayier if you want.
To be honest, A 7mm has a pretty healthy kick. I would say it kicks more than any 20 gauge. I think mine kicks more than my 12 gauge but I've never tried them one after the other. I don't feel the kick at all when hunting but sometimes geta little sore after shooting on the bench.
Is this your first rifle? If so ,you may want to start out with something a little lighter.
Old 01-31-2002, 08:37 PM

I use a 110 cal. 7mm rem. mag. I jsut got it this year and I love it to death. I dont have to aim off a deer up to 300 yds. Although I dont think I would need to take a 300 yd shot.

Check out my drawings and big bucks page on my website. Sign the guestbook too.

www.geocities.com/mvp_bballer/

JC
Old 01-31-2002, 08:38 PM

I use a 110 cal. 7mm rem. mag. I jsut got it this year and I love it to death. I dont have to aim off a deer up to 300 yds. Although I dont think I would need to take a 300 yd shot.

Check out my drawings and big bucks page on my website. Sign the guestbook too.

www.geocities.com/mvp_bballer/

JC
Old 01-31-2002, 10:52 PM

Hey robertdutton, I have taken mule deer and elk with the 7mm I would agree with most people when they say it is one of the most versatile cartridges for north American big game. Powerful Yet reasonable recoil. Remington model 700 and your set.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:11 PM

MY PERSONAL OPINION BUT THE 7MM REM IS THE BEST DEER CARTRIGE HANDS DOWN. IN MY HUNTING AREA OF SW TEXAS A 300YD SHOT IS NOT OBSCENE. WITH A POINT BLANK RANGE OF ABOUT 300YD AND A DECENT SHOT AND THERE YOU HAVE IT.

FACTORY LOADS FROM 139GR TO 175 AND JUST ABOUT ANYTHING IN BETWEEN, YOU CAN HUNT COYOTES, ELK AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT TICKLES YOU.

AS FAR AS RECOIL, IT'S MORE THAN MANAGEBLE, COMPERTABLE TO THAT OF AN 06.
IF I WERE GOING TO ONW ONE CENTERFIRE IT WOULD BE A 7MM REM!

I USE FEDERAL PREM. 165GR. SIERRA BOAT TAIL ON ELK(225 YD ONE SHOT DROP), 300+FERRAL HOG(75YD CLEAN PASS THROUGH)AND TOO MANY DEER TO MENTION.

CERTIFIED GUN NUT--
Old 01-31-2002, 11:19 PM

I'M SORRY I GOT EXCITED BUT I FORGOT TO MENTION 2500 FT PER SEC. AND 2300 FT# OF ENERGY AT 300YD THATS BETTER THAN THE VENERABLE....P.O.S. 30-06.

CERTIFIED GUN NUT--
Old 02-01-2002, 08:54 AM

Robert,

Just wondering which 7 mm you talking about. The 7mm mag is a popular round. But so is the 7mmx57, 7mm-08, 7mm swt and probably several other I can't remember right now. All of them would make very good whitetail guns. Although the felt recoil would vary greatly so I can't give any info on that.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:26 AM

yes it is ok for deer..but you had better wear your earplugs at the range cause that sucker is loud..my uncle shoots a 7mm and it is much louder than my .270, but it will do the trick.

Quick Reply: Is a 7mm a good gun for whitetail??plz help younge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.