Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How I "renewed" a popular scrape spot in the woods.  Got the bucks to come back... >

How I "renewed" a popular scrape spot in the woods. Got the bucks to come back...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How I "renewed" a popular scrape spot in the woods. Got the bucks to come back...

Old 09-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default How I "renewed" a popular scrape spot in the woods. Got the bucks to come back...

For as long as I could remember, the deer always had a ground scrape under a branch that hung over the trail under this tree. Finally they broke off the branch that hung out over the trail, and that was the first fall in YEARS that I didn’t have a scrape opened up under that tree!

I figured why not cut another branch off that tree, zip tie it onto the remaining part of the branch and give them something to rub their glands on and “re-mark” this spot. I kicked the leaves around opening a small spot, and bam – they started using the scrape again.

With it working so well that year, I now do this every year – remake their “spot” for them by zip-tieing a branch to the tree to overhang on the trail and open a small patch of dirt, and they always come back and open it up even more.

I can’t say this will work for everyone…or everywhere – but if you watched the video, you’ll see that the deer did visit this faux-scrape that I made.

Here's a video that shows not only me "fixing" the tree branch, but also the deer that visited after I started using a zip-tie to put a new branch to overhang this spot.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Cool Video.
What trailcam are you useing.

That is so cool.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jrbsr
Cool Video.
What trailcam are you useing.

That is so cool.
Thanks!!

I have two Bushnell Trophy Cameras that I use.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Spike

Default deer scrape

What a lucky but a great idea
Old 09-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Never knew the deer communicated through a licking branch. Very interesting. Would tarsal gland scent attractant work on a licking branch or scrape?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen reference to this idea several times in various magazine articles. Makes sense, but I'd imagine deer would find a suitable scrape location on their own, very near the original one, if possible.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Done this lots of times using a drill and deck screws. Put a branch where YOU want it, and the deer will come to that spot. Using a fresh-cut branch helps, keep the tip of it 4-5 feet off the ground. Using a tarsal gland or similar can help but not needed. make a scrape under the branch (just kick away all the leaves and brush) create a depression in the middle with the heel of your boot or a stick (this will help urine scent collect there). Lastly, pee in the scrape and walk away. The deer will find it if it's close to a trail. Pee in it each time you are in the woods. Every year I have photos of bucks and doe using my home made scrapes.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Spike

That's an awesome idea. I'm will have to try it.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

It works. Promise. I never use deer urine anymore (used to) my own does the trick just as well, and once a couple deer start using it, then it becomes a regular stop for more of them.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by handles II
It works. Promise. I never use deer urine anymore (used to) my own does the trick just as well, and once a couple deer start using it, then it becomes a regular stop for more of them.
So deer cannot distinguish between human urine and deer urine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.