Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Food Plot or Corn Pile - Same Thing? >

Food Plot or Corn Pile - Same Thing?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food Plot or Corn Pile - Same Thing?

Old 09-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending what state your hunting in hunting over a "corn pile" maybe illegal. Don't know of any state that a "food plot" is illegal.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Spike

Well that helps alot can do you know a brand that would be good for oklahoma's rockey soil?
Old 09-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say, the people on this site are getting MUCH more civil. I remember when people would be at each others throats with a topic like this!

I've done both in my life. I've hunted over bait in Michigan and food plots in Illinois. They are not even close to the same. Anybody can just born 200 pounds of corn on the ground or in a feeder, it takes no time at all. To put in a food plot takes much more time and care. Good bucks learn what bait is pretty quick and know only to hit it at night. Sure you'll get a random nice buck here and there but food plots are natural, they just think its like beans or corn growing.

I don't judge people who bait since I've done it many times but its not the same thing at all in my opinion. Not saying its bad, just not the same thing.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Far from the same thing but each one can be effective in its own right. I use both so I'm not going to look down on anyone for using either or neither if they so choose.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Spike

I would never feel a sense of accomplishment if I shot a deer over bait. For me hunting is working to harvest a deer in his natural habitat. A food plot is natural habitat. In my opinion a pile of corn is similar to trapping not hunting.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jerry d
Depending what state your hunting in hunting over a "corn pile" maybe illegal. Don't know of any state that a "food plot" is illegal.
A food plot is illegal in Colorado. As is any kind of baiting.

Food plot = Growing food to bring in game to hunt.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A food plot is illegal in Colorado. As is any kind of baiting.

Food plot = Growing food to bring in game to hunt.
So what determines whether youre hunting a food plot or a farm? An apple orchard or bean field would bring in game
Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

The good thing about a plot is that you can stay the heck away from it (as opposed to always dropping bait). I have a small winter rye plot, and with my crossbow, most every shot is within range of 30 yds. The bad thing is all the labor involved. And if you have big herds, you will need a big expensive plot or they will mow it to nothing. By us the herds are pretty small these days.

In WI, you can not use automated feeders - you must haul bait out almost daily since amount is limited too. What I find works best is to bait short-term (2 or 3 days), hunt, and then move on to another spot. Too much working up one spot will teach them in a hurry to visit at night or not at all. So baiting in WI is no slam dunk either, and I am talking about bow hunting. For the most part, it is a good way to fill an antlerless tag.

My favorite way to hunt is still hunting with a muzzleloader after the regular gun season. This is classic hunting to me, but sometimes what is most noble does not fill the freezer!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Early in the season I'll hunt over bait once in awhile but for the most part it ends up just being a good way to get deer in front of the camera to see what's there whether it be day or night. That being said, I've never killed a decent buck over bait. Get lots of pictures after dark but that's about it.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:47 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by illiniquack15
I think I would get a lot more out of killing a deer from a food plot then dumping a bucket of corn by my stand and calling it a day. Heck I enjoy the sweat equity that goes into a food plot just as much as I do hunting the thing.
Yes, I kind of like that too. It is nice to see a lush green plot that is the result of good prep and hard work. Kind of like gardening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.