Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do I learn how to hunt?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

1. Hunters Safety - Without it you can't buy a license, so it is a must-do.
2. Determine what you want to hunt, and the method to hunt that type of game. Read up on/watch videos of/ and make every attempt to observe that species in the wild.
3. Place/places to hunt - Do you have somewhere to go? Find a spot or a friend who can help you.
4. Spend hours at a shooting range or similar making sure you are very familiar with your hunting weapons and other hunting tools.
5. Spend hours during non-hunting periods in your hunting area. Observe nature, take note of what you see and hear.
6. If you dislike or refuse to do any or all of 1-5, then hunting may not be for you.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Grow a beard. Then you will know.

NoMercy was succinct !!!

Live and learn......................

Everyone offered good advice !!!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

It might be a good idea to join sporting and conservation clubs in your area. IWLA, DU, RMEF, SCI, etc. are full of fellow hunters that will normally go out of their way to start a new hunter on the right path.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

i would probably start off with firearm safety as many have mentioned but in all honesty would probably get into waterfowl or upland game birds as my first quarry.
the fundamentals gained duck and pheasant hunting can be applied to big game hunting and there are generally more opportunities for success than starting off deer hunting.
i personally would be apprehensive taking the rookie hunters i know out with me as it takes time to develop the familiarity, skills and ethics to make it a safe hunt for everyone.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

first, hunter safety. A lot of these will help you learn about game, but most importantly about safety.

Should I just watch a few youtube videos and try my luck?
Youtube is good. read, read, read. If you can, get time in the woods ahead of time.

Learn what deer do.

The most basic things: Be upwind or quartering the wind. Be quiet. (There's no such thing as too quiet) Don't fidget. If you must move, do it sloooooow.

I have been busted by deer more than anything by getting caught moving. Turning my head too quick caught a deer's eye when stand hunting, or one step too many or one step too quick when stillhunting.

A good way to practice for deer is to hunt squirrels. If you're alerting squirrels, you'll definitely alert deer.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 09-08-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

You cannot learn to be a hunter by watching you tube or by reading about it. As has been suggested, join some clubs, contact the game agency in your state and find a mentor. You have had some good suggestions from people who know, you tube would be beneath the bottom of that list. It is ok to read books to find out some things about hunting, however, you will not learn to hunt out of a book, it is a boots on the ground experience.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Spike

take a hunter safety class (and get scared of the idiots you'll be in the woods with like I was)

buy a license in the game you want to hunt

get appropriate gear, practice shooting, etc.

Read a lot.

Get outside, scout, apply what you've learned, etc. Just because you can't pull the trigger on the animal you're looking for doesn't mean you can't do everything else like a real hunt. Hell, I've even thought about bringing my unloaded rifle into the woods to get used to walking with it, etc. I'm just afraid I'll cause a commotion with all the bow hunters.

This is my first year hunting and I have an elk tag. I grew up shooting guns but haven't fired a hunting caliber rifle (Greater than .223) in probably 10 years. In the last two months I've put in about 20 miles scouting my unit (will double that before the season starts), bought myself a new rifle/setup the scope yada yada, taught myself to reload, and manage .556" 3 shot groups at 100 yards and still haven't perfected a load. I feel more prepared than most after talking to some friends that are hunters. I'll be hunting with one or two other brand new guys as well.

Last edited by Streetdoctor; 09-08-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Streetdoctor
take a hunter safety class (and get scared of the idiots you'll be in the woods with like I was)

buy a license in the game you want to hunt

get appropriate gear, practice shooting, etc.

Read a lot.

Get outside, scout, apply what you've learned, etc. Just because you can't pull the trigger on the animal you're looking for doesn't mean you can't do everything else like a real hunt. Hell, I've even thought about bringing my unloaded rifle into the woods to get used to walking with it, etc. I'm just afraid I'll cause a commotion with all the bow hunters.

This is my first year hunting and I have an elk tag. I grew up shooting guns but haven't fired a hunting caliber rifle (Greater than .223) in probably 10 years. In the last two months I've put in about 20 miles scouting my unit (will double that before the season starts), bought myself a new rifle/setup the scope yada yada, taught myself to reload, and manage .556" 3 shot groups at 100 yards and still haven't perfected a load. I feel more prepared than most after talking to some friends that are hunters. I'll be hunting with one or two other brand new guys as well.
Doctor,

You should do fine..................

Just remember, the window of opportunity opens and closes so quickly.

Practice when you can real life shooting situations !

Always find a rest !!!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Spike

Assuming that you have a course under your belt, experience shooting a gun or bow, whatever weapon you plan to use, scout some woods and its just as simple as finding areas that look like they may have a lot of sign. Dont worry about scrapes and rub lines or anything at all. Seriously, just look for areas that have lots of tracks or "runways" as we call them. Your just looking for the deer highways. If you are in area with a good food source (corn, beans, maybe a clover field or alfalfa) start in that area and try to catch them between the food and their bed (again this just means looking for high traffic areas leading to/from food). If its early season and hot, an isolated water source can do the trick. Later into the season, if you can stay on the does, you will have bucks lol..