Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter Advice

Old 08-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Spike

Default New Hunter Advice

I just purchased an Savage 111 .270. I need to sight it in and pick the ammo I will be using for a Mule Deer doe hunt in Colorado. Any suggestions on the best factory load. 130-140-150. Premium load or not? Thanks so much for your advice.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buy a few different brands and see which one groups best in your rifle. Deer don't require premium loads. When I had a .270 I found the factory Rem Core-Lokts to be accurate and effective on deer. But, each rifle is different and yours may group better with something else.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
Buy a few different brands and see which one groups best in your rifle. Deer don't require premium loads. When I had a .270 I found the factory Rem Core-Lokts to be accurate and effective on deer. But, each rifle is different and yours may group better with something else.
+1

Sound advise................. only way to fly !
Old 08-31-2014, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto .... I don't have a rifle in 270 Win. Several of my buddies do. From my experience helping them sight in and set-up theirs, the 130 gr. bullet seems to be a good way to go.

JB and I have hunted mule deer several times in eastern Montana. He uses a Ruger in 270 Win. and Federal Premium factory ammo that incoporates a 130 gr. "premium" bullet. He has taken every mule deer (and dozens of white tails) cleanly. His shots have been from about 50 yards to about 325 yards.

But as mentioned above, try out other factory loads. As far as "premium" bullets .... I like 'em, but Lord only knows how many freezers have been filled with Reminton CorLokts and Winchester Power Points ! Whatever groups the best, go with it.

You did not mention a scope. If you are going to mount a scope on your Savage, buy the very best that you can possibley afford. In my opinion there is absolutely no substitute for good glass.

Last edited by Mojotex; 09-01-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:08 AM
Spike

Default 270 is a Favorite.

Good advice all around. The 130gr will put a hurting on deer sized game. I had a Ruger 77 that took 22 whitetail, 2 mulies, 2 pronghorn, a bobcat and turkey before I retired it. And that was just one of four 270s that I have owned. The CorLokt bullet is a cheap way out and is great for deer. Having used premium bullets in the past I can honestly say that they are not needed on whitetails. My favorite load was 53gr of IMR-4350 under a 130gr Speer HotCor. Works swell.