Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Butchering White tail.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I always cut my own.. I did at one time let a butcher, butcher one and had a big dislike on that one.. But he did what he was supposed to do.. That was butcher it for me.. I enjoy butchering myself and it depends on how much time I have to get it done on how I do it. I normally stake it up and grind my own hamburger. When grinding I like to use a few strips of bacon in it.. A venison bacon burger yummy.. But I also at times cut it up in chunks due to time factors. I wrap the chunks up labeled for stakes, stew meat, or hamburg based on the cut I had chosen. That way I can take out what I want and cut it then. It also creates less freezer burn because less meat is exposed.. That is if you do not have a vaccum sealer.. So for me at least it can very depending on those time issues that always appear to pop up right in the middle of things..
Old 08-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

I do my own. I was taught by my Grandpa and Dad. We are all "Paid Flunkies"My boys are also Paid Flunkies.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Spike

Although butchering your own deer is time consuming between the process and the cleanup... Its very rewarding knowing you did it yourself!!

And you can pick/choose what meat goes in for steak,roast or trim for burger/sausage!!

www.60xcustomstrings.com
Old 09-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

This site might be useful: http://www.eckrich.org

On youtube, this guy is very good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzYGBNDc_xU

He does it a little differently than what I do, mainly in the sawing.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 09-01-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone, Smitty0220 I'm going to look into that book I live in Warwick
Old 09-18-2014, 05:59 AM
Spike

Good book for a beginner or someone more experienced. Hope you have a good season.
I've got one doe down already!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Great advice already posted. Youtube is a great help. I especiialy like the McClendon Meats series of videos as it does not require cutting through any bones. Really an easy process and he walks you through all the cuts from when the deer is hanging right down to the individual cuts prior to packaging.

Also works great for aging purposes. Get the meat off the bone, place in Cabela's game bags and in a large cooler. Open the cooler vent, placed on an angle and keep replacing the ice. Melting ice drains the blooad away from the meat and the tempurature inside the cooler is in the mid to upper 30's. Works great if you do not have access to a controlled environment for hanging or need to travel a distance.

I send all my burger through the grinder twice (double ground), as it seems to remove an extra fat or sinure I may have missed when trimming. My whole fanily participates as the meat can be brought inside and done around the kitchen table once deboned.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you need some help processing one I could show you first hand . Im in R.I. Also . About 20 min to Warwick, from Exeter
Old 09-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

I learned how to do it from DeadOnHunting on Youtube. I did 3 deer last year and enjoyed every minute of it. I feel it is as much a part of the hunt as the prep and the hunt itself.

It's a 4 part video, easy to follow and gives you different options for each cut.

http://muzzyuniversity.wordpress.com...fter-the-shot/
Old 09-20-2014, 04:06 AM
Spike

Mostly did our own ....no special cuts, mostly grind it and the tenderloins are kept whole for roasting or slicing ....when we did take a couple to a butcher, the tallow was mixed it with the ground meat .....not good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.