Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Butchering White tail.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
I know several that were butchers. I suspect that they would not like to be known as "paid flunkys". Not everyone can be rocket scientists or nuclear engineers, some of us have to make a living doing the more ordinary chores. Most all of us buy cut meat from time to time so we need butchers, it is honest work should not be looked down upon.
I agree, its a ridiculous thing to say.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

I worked for both a butcher shop and sausage kitchen when I was in my 20s, so I have a little foundation, but what I would do is go on YouTube and watch several videos on butchering deer (there are a bunch). You'll see some different techniques and start to recognize the parts of the animal. And then just do it. You'll learn by trial and error and get some real experience. Worse case scenario, if you screw up a bit, you will have more for sausage and burger -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
I worked for both a butcher shop and sausage kitchen when I was in my 20s, so I have a little foundation, but what I would do is go on YouTube and watch several videos on butchering deer (there are a bunch). You'll see some different techniques and start to recognize the parts of the animal. And then just do it. You'll learn by trial and error and get some real experience. Worse case scenario, if you screw up a bit, you will have more for sausage and burger -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Do you think there is any merit to learning to butcher domestic and applying that to deer? Because you learn things more specifically or are their videos showing that on deer? Everything Ive seen is just rear quarter, front quarter, loin etc. when there are actually more specific cuts within those quarters/loins.

I learned on farm raised animals very young and I feel like that really helped me as far as knowing where specific cuts were located because nobody seems to teach that on deer and it does make a big difference.

I just haven't met to many people that just butcher deer and know for example where a shoulder steak comes from or how to cut one or the difference between a spare rid vs baby back.

I just keep thinking had I learned from the people Ive seen do deer I would not know nearly as much about specific cuts within muscle groups.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cutting up and butchering your own deer is easy. Don't be intimidated by it. The first time you do it, it will work out OK. The second time you do it, it will be all the better. The third time you do it, you will be a pro. I have always cut up and butchered my own deer and now elk.

You can find lots of on-line information. I will simply provide an outline of the process.

1. Gut or field dress the deer.
2. Transport the deer to your home (if elk, skip and process into pieces on the mountainside)
3. If the weather is cool overnight (50 degrees or less), let the deer hang overnight and work on it the next morning. Generally it is thought that deer meat is more tender if it goes through the process of "rigor mortis." This chemical process is completed within 24 hours of killing the deer. If it is hot, ignore this recommendation and cut the deer up ASAP
4. Skin and cut the deer up into large pieces. I cut my deer (and elk) into a. backstraps, b. tenderloins, c. right rear leg, d. left rear leg, e. front right shoulder, f. front left shoulder, g. slab of meat off both rib cages, h. ribs sawed off (I don't do this with my elk), i. neck meat. As I take these major chunks of meat off, I put them in a cooler (or in some snow when cutting up an elk on the mountainside) to keep them cool while I continue cutting up the meat.
5. I then butcher these pieces of meat. That is, I cut them into meal-sized pieces of meat, wrap them in plastic wrap, and then wrap in freezer paper. For example, I may cut a rear leg into 3 or 4 roasts. I may cut the backstraps up to make 4 separate packages. My elk meat I keep cool but not frozen in coolers and drive back home from Colorado. I hunt elk in SW Colorado; I butcher elk at home in North Texas.

It seems complicated, but when you start doing it, it is less complicated. Again, the first time is the hardest and you will be better the next time. A good thing about doing it yourself is you know what you get, you know how the meat has been cared for, and you can cut the meat up in the style you like. Some people like ground meat. I don't I use what others would make into ground meat (for example the meat off the ribs) for making stews. I like roasts. I will roast the roasts (or braise them to be more precise) or I will slice them into thin slices, pound the slices thinner, salt, pepper, dredge in flour, sautee in butter, make a sauce of dry white wine, chopped shallots, and heavy cream. The backstraps i cut into steaks, sautee them, and make a delicious sauce to go with them.

Last edited by Alsatian; 08-28-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Google The Scott Rea Project. He has a you-tube channel. Look at playlist, select game, and then scroll down to his video showing how to butcher a deer. He's got a small deer, probably a roe buck, and he does a good job showing and describing the whole process. Lots of other good stuff there too.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You tube is a great help. Also a dedicated meat grinder 1hp or better..in a #12 or bigger plate size. Also if you plan on doing many deer a walk-in cooler would be a great help down the road. Look up "coolbot" A friend uses one and it works great!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Google The Scott Rea Project. He has a you-tube channel. Look at playlist, select game, and then scroll down to his video showing how to butcher a deer. He's got a small deer, probably a roe buck, and he does a good job showing and describing the whole process. Lots of other good stuff there too.
Very good video desires me and my daughter just watched him break down half a hog. Very informative see wanted to see where beacon came from on the pig she is 6. Seen me and dad butcher deer. Know she is patenting to butcher her stuff animals into the different parts of meat very cute.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cabral, check out a book called, "Dressing & Cooking Wild Game" I bought it over 15years ago. I see it's still 4sale on the net. It will give you some good info, like pictures of venison quarters and cutting them to the different cuts, plus it has awesome recipes. It's a book for wild game specifically, not just venison, but small game also.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always butcher my own. When you do it yourself you are in control of what you get. The butcher shops do a pile at once, and weigh out what you brought them, stuff it in a bag and hang your name on it. As already stated, there are videos on you tube. There has to be someone that you know that can help you. Good luck, and do it yourself.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

You don't need to spend tons of money on a grinder unless you are planning on doing 3/4 deer a season then it MIGHTbe worth the cost. I got a hand crank grinder at a yard sale that is an antique but does a nice job. I even fixed it up so I could hook my electric drill up to it instead of the crank handle.
You also do not need to mix pork or beef fat with your burger. Works fine for every thing with out, some think it is the only way to hold it in patties for the grill but that isn't so either.

If your going to spend money then get a real good set of knives in a few sizes. Maybe a hand meat saw if you want to use a saw.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.