Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Messed up deer

Old 08-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Spike

Default Messed up deer

Hey there guys and gals I've got a lot of deer on my property mostly doe's though and some bucks but what I can't figure out is why all my bucks have messed up antlers and is there any way I can fix it my self or does nature I have mineral blocks out year round will that help just wondering if there are any ways to fix it
Old 08-18-2014, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

Good article on deer antlers...
http://www.awdhr.com/whitetailgenetics.htm
Old 08-18-2014, 05:11 AM
Spike

genetics my man. You can either start taking out the less desired antlered deer or hope a couple of those "messed up" racks turn into something really neat. I'm actually a big fan of not typical deer and attempting to watch them grow different from year to year.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

I have this problem as well. It's definitely genetics, but not sure if its the does side that keeps spreading or the bucks. If I see a "cull" buck, I make sure to shoot it just to get the bad genes out. Not sure on the does, I just try to shoot the oldest and biggest from them and hope for the best.