Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

20 ga shot?

Old 08-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default 20 ga shot?

My step son is going to be hunting for the first time this fall and I was wondering what would be better buck shot or a slug? he has been shooting 2 3/4 inch target shot for the last 2 years. I bought him a 20 gauge single shot break action stevens.

Any recommendations or comments welcomed.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pattern a good slug with his gun and have him keep the distance within the range that he can keep them all within a paper plate. IMHO buckshot is strictly for a seasoned veteran that will keep his shots very close with the knowledge that they will wound more animals than they will kill if the distance is stretched to any extent. Make sure he has good hearing protection, as well as a properly fitted gun with a good pad. Then start him out pretty soon working him on up to those loads, as they are a lot more potent than what he's been shooting and he'll quickly realize that when he touches the first one off.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

DEFINATLY, go with the slug. youve got to be a pretty good marksman to take deer ethicaly with BuckShot. On a lighter note ive got a Stevens single shot 12 gauge. love that gun.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

I would lean towards slugs, as others have said. You can get "reduced recoil" 20 gauge slugs made by Hornady.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

slug .
Old 08-22-2014, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The obvious choice is a slug, and assuming a smooth bore barrel, we're talking about regular old rifled slugs as opposed to sabot slugs.

Another thing to think about is the barrel of the gun. Assuming it is a fixed choke, what choke is it? If it is improved or modified he should be fine. If it is full or tighter, slugs may not shoot all that great, especially as the range increases. Years ago, folks would say that Remington sluggers shot best in full choke guns because the slug was smaller in diameter than other brands. Not sure if that's still the case.

If the gun has a barrel that takes choke tubes, either modified or improved should work, but try both to see if there's a difference.

Another option is to try a rifled choke tube with sabot slugs. Sabots are way more expensive, but may extend the effective range, assuming the barrel has rifle sights. If the barrel has only a bead (or two beads), it's probably best to stay with rifled slugs.

Finally, it may be possible to install a new fully rifled barrel. If that's doable, then sabots are the way to go, but as noted, they are expensive.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slug absolutely.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Slugs
I buy Cheopo super x slugs
I shoot a Winchester 20ga 1500 speed pump
I feel confident with it out to 100 yards
Trust me the cheap ones shoot great and they would do even better
In a single shot I'm sure.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by westMDbowhunter
Slugs
I buy Cheopo super x slugs
I shoot a Winchester 20ga 1500 speed pump
I feel confident with it out to 100 yards
Trust me the cheap ones shoot great and they would do even better
In a single shot I'm sure.
That's really an oversimplification when you make a statement like that. Every gun is different and what one might shoot on the button the next one might not even be on paper. That's why people need to experiment to see what goes best through their shotgun/rifle. It's not going to make a person go bankrupt shooting a higher priced slug either, even though you say cheap ones work in your gun.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Kid I hunt with only uses his 20ga Remington 870. Has taken many many deer with it. Definitely go with slugs. I dont like using buck shot even in more powerful shot guns, except for coyotes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.