Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ghost buck

Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Spike

Default Ghost buck

I've hunted this buck for 2 years and can't seem to lay eyes on him. In 2012 I got 2 pictures of him chasing a doe and last year in velvet he showed up and had 4 Picts of him, I've scouted up and down the mountains, hunted everywhere and still can't seem to get more than 4 Picts of him. Maybe he's just cruising through but I'd like some input if anyone can help. Thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Spike

If it were easy they would call it killing. These full time hunters on the TV make it look easier then it is to actually pattern deer. I've had my share of deer that I grew accustom to seeing every time out, but with big mature bucks its pretty difficult. I would say his homeland is on neighboring property and during the rut when he's chasing he'll be around. And for the velvet picks, mature bucks seem to take strolls out of their usual home during the summer. who knows, maybe something will make him change patterns and he'll be making a scrape under your tree come October. Good luck. Would love to see some pics of him.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's why he's big! Once a buck gets a couple seasons under his belt it's not unusual for him to go almost completely nocturnal other than during the rut. That time of the year helps bring them out a little better during legal hunting hours, but they aren't as stupid then as a lot of people would say they are. Most of these big bucks on TV are on private property that isn't disturbed and the deer are patterned for several years by the owner. Then the TV crew comes in and sets up stands or many times there are already stands set up that the animals are accustomed to. Then they tell us how many backbreaking hours thay've had to put in to shoot that big one, LOL! That's why I watch very little other than what Jim Shockey puts out along with "Fresh Tracks" (used to be OYOA) that is all DIY on public land and Meat Eater. Welcome to the site and do come back often!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-12-2014 at 12:37 PM.